Good Morning! And thanks again for all the cookbook suggestions! If you missed it, they are in the comment section of yesterday’s post. I'm still mulling things over trying to decide what to pick. but for now here’s a new apple cranberry pie.
I made this late yesterday with things I had around the house, one of which was a bag of cranberries leftover from Thanksgiving. I wasn’t sure I’d like them invading my apple pie, but they turned out to be a lovely addition, adding a little tartness and a whole lot of pink. Luckily, it was a nice shade of pink.
This was a great pie. I adapted the filling from a recipe that had a cooked cornstarch filling. Normally, I made apple pies by just tossing the apples with the sugar, starch and spices, but this cooked filling had a wonderful smooth and thick texture. I’m not sure if it was because the cornstarch mixture was cooked, but I’d definitely do things again the same way.
Crumb Topped Apple Cranberry Pie
- ½ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oats quick cooking or old fashion (not instant)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- 3 cups apples peeled and cut into chunks (tart apples like Granny Smith) (about 2 pounds whole)
- ¾ cup cranberries coarsely chopped in half and some whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, salt, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour in butter and stir until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan. Stir well, then turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often, until thickened.
- Have apples and cranberries ready in a bowl.
- Remove from heat. Pour sugar mixture over apples and cranberries and stir well to coat. Stir in vanilla extract and lemon juice. Pour apple mixture into prepared pie crust and sprinkle crumbly mixture over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is brown.