Whole Foods Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

I felt like making a wholesome oatmeal cookie today so I went to the Whole Foods Website to look for a recipe. Smart eh? As predicted, they had a healthy sounding oatmeal cookie with lots of wheat. It was (is) called Oh-So-Good-Oatmeal-Cookies and every word in the title has an “O” in it.

The cookies are pretty good. I think I might play around with the recipe, though.

Notes:

— Had to use turbinado sugar in place of evaporated cane juice sugar
— I reduced the baking powder to 1/2 teaspoon
— Cookies didn’t spread much. Also, I only got about 18 cookies so I guess mine were bigger.

Still good, though.

Whole Foods Cookies

Comments

Your cookies look like they have some really good texture. I have some “Small Batch Biscotti di Prato” from your blog, in the oven right now.

2. KAnn says

I work for WF and hadn’t seen that recipe-we do a similar one with spelt flour and coconut. I think I will give this one a try! (minus the raisins)

I like a chewy cookie when it comes to oatmeal, so these I should try. I saw those too at WF.

I’d like to try their cranberry scones though…have you seen those? Yum

The Whole Foods cookie is really good, especially after it cools and sets.

Just for fun, I played around with the recipe and came up with a slightly lower fat cookie that uses oil only and a combination of honey & agave. These cookies aren’t as dense and rich as the cookies above, but they’re still pretty good. They taste a little grainier, but not in a bad way….though they are dryer. I am not sure if people will like them but I do so here’s the recipe.

Each cookie is about 1.25 oz

149 Calories; 4g Fat (25.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;

Agave & Honey Oatmeal Cookies

2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (approx)
    3 tablespoons agave nectar
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (2 oz)
    1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
    1/8 teaspoon EACH baking soda & baking powder
    1/4 scant teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 cups old fashioned oats
    1/3 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix egg, agave, honey, oil and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir very well.

Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir very well, then add to agave mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the oats and raisins. Let batter sit for about 5 minutes.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and arrange on parchment lined cookie sheets spacing 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10-11 minutes. Let cool completely.

Makes 8 large cookies

I have just about exactly 3 T. of agave left. I’ll have to try these for you, I mean for me! I want to try the WF recipe, too. Sigh. You’re making it hard for me to eat less and better! Oh but wait, these are healthy, right! ;)
    You could really go all out and replace the oil with beans! HA
    I’m just not sure an oatmeal cookie can compare to our HBE one though. I LOVE that cookie!

Anna,
    Those look SO GOOD! I love a chewy oatmeal cookie! I’m not good at knowing what you can and can’t substitute, so can you use the McCann’s Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal instead of Old Fashioned Oats? Thanks for sharing that recipe!

LS, the dough for these cookies was really thick and dry so I think McCann’s would work just fine. Let me know if you try it.

Katrina, I had exactly 3 tablespoons of agave left too, which is why I used the honey. The honey also added flavor. But my version definitely tastes low fat, whereas Whole Foods tastes richer. I’d serve mine for breakfast, but probably wouldn’t take it to a teachers’ luncheon.

I bought 2 great cookies at Whole Foods bakery today!! They are called Oatrageous and the other is Fruitrageous. They are made with spelt flour and have fruit in them. The Oatrageous has chocolate chips. Does anyone know how I can get these recipes to bake for my family? They were so crispy. Best cookies in the world!! Do you think Whole Foods would give me the recipe? thanks

Hi Rhea!

A lot of people email me asking if I have Whole Foods clones, but I haven’t really pursued it because I think different Whole Foods stores sell different things in the various bakeries. I’m not 100% sure about this. I will check. I don’t think they’d give out the recipe, though. If it’s not on their website, the best thing we could do is try to clone it.

10. Coco says

I adored the speltactular fruitrageous cookies that Wild Oats once carried. Once Whole Foods took them over, however, the baked goods in my grocery store (here in Oklahoma) became noticeably less healthy. Almost no more spelt baked goods, and no fruitrage. No fruit juice-sweetened cookies or other such baked goods. Recently, I was in Colorado — the original home of Wild Oats — and the Whole Foods stores there are still making baked goods using the old Wild Oats recipes. This certainly proves that “different Whole Foods stores sell different things in the various bakeries.”

11. Becca says

I love the Whole Foods vegan oatmeal raisin cookie!!! They are sold in every WF I’ve ever been in—that includes Texas, New York, LI (really a country of its own! I can say that because I’m from there ;), Florida, North Carolina, and Maine. They list the ingredients, which include cornstarch and applesauce toward the end of the list, and contain and plentiful amount of oats. If you cloned this recipe, you would have a forever friend here! Love all the cookie recipes of yours that I’ve tried.

12. Jodi says

Coco, I have seriously mourned that Speltacular cookie from Wild Oats. It was sublime. In fact, I found these comments by randomly looking online right now, to see if I could find a place that still has them. I had many serious discussions with the Whole Foods bakeries once they took over, begging them to make those cookies. To no avail. Anyone?? Thanks.

13. Becca says

Just dreaming about the WF vegan oatmeal raisin cookie from their bakery once again! Soon as I make/buy some applesauce I’m going to try to copy them. Those Wild Oats spelt cookies sound delicious, too!