Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today’s recipe is from Cindy, who answered my request for a cookie made with a lot of shortening. I wanted to test-drive the fancy new $6.00 Spectrum which I bought earlier this week. As much as I love butter, there’s a certain texture I like in cookies that only shortening can give – a crispy, crunchy, but light texture similar to what you get in some packaged cookies.

Cindy promised the cookies would be crispy, and they were. They look like packaged cookies but taste homemade. And best of all, I didn’t miss the butter.

Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups sifted flour** (238 grams)
1 tsp baking powder (5 ml)
1 tsp baking soda (5 ml)
1/2 tsp salt (2 ml)
1 cup shortening (208 grams)
1 cup brown sugar, packed (220 grams)
1 cup granulated sugar (196 grams)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)
2 cups quick-cooking oats (200 grams)
12 oz package semisweet chocolate chips (336 grams)
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts or pecans) (56 grams)

Sift together pre-sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream shortening and sugars in bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Blend in vanilla.

Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, chocolate and nuts. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls or shape into 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart, on parchment lined baking sheets.

Bake in 350 degree F (180 degree C) oven 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets; cool on racks. Makes 6 dozen.

** A cup of sifted flour weighs less than a cup of unsifted flour. I sifted the flour then weighed it.

Comments

1. Louise says

Anna, Not all shortening cookies are crispy, crunchy. The Hermits I make have a special texture but are soft and stay that way for a long time. I’ve tried them using butter, and they just aren’t right.

2. janet says

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your family! Thanks for another delicious looking cookie recipe to try!!! Have a great day.

3. Stephanie says

You have a recipe on here somewhere that is oatmeal chocolate chip recipe with half butter and half shortening. It is one of our favorites and I love how fast it is to whip up. I usually throw in the caramel bits that you can now find by the chocolate chips.

That might be a great one to try with the spectrum.

4. janet says

I just realized this is the same recipe that I have been making for many years (my husband’s favorite) called Cowboy Cookies. It’s the best!

These look beautiful, although I have to say I am a butter-using, soft/chewy cookie lover. I’ve learned a lot here about the different types of cookies and how different ingredients affect the results. Thanks, Anna!

6. Momsa says

Why do recipes often call for putting the dough out on parchment paper? What’s the difference between that or putting them straight onto the cookie sheet? Just curious. Hoping you know. Thanks.

Parchment paper is a good non-stick surface and it saves you from having to scrape burnt on cookie from the cookie sheet. You can skip it in some recipes, but I usually always use it out of habit. I think it protects the cookie sheets from burnt on grease.

8. Heidi says

Hi Anna!

I’ve never responded before but I regularly read your blog. I enjoy it. Last night I was intrigued by the crunchy oatmeal choc chip cookie recipe. I printed it out but my intention was to use it as a base for a crunchy oatmeal raisin cookie. I have a family who loves oatmeal raisin cookies but NOT soft chewy ones. I have not been able to locate a good crunchy oatmeal cookie recipe in the 20 years I’ve been baking. I’ve tried just baking the other recipes longer to make them crisp, but that just doesn’t work. Anyway, I made the cookies this morning. I left out the chocolate chips & nuts & added raisins & cinnamon instead and they turned out perfect! Perfect and everyone loved them. My search is over! I thought I would lose alot of flavor using only shortening but these cookies have tremendous flavor. Thank you.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll let Cindy know you liked the recipe since she’s the one who sent it. But I’m with you — these were really good and definitely crunchy.

Katrina sent me a similar (but different) crunchy cookie recipe and I’ll be posting that one today.