Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars From Scratch!
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are for anyone who likes chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake. That means everyone, right? Well maybe not, but I have a feeling these will disappear quickly at a party. Not that you have to wait until there’s a party to make them. Seriously, this may be the best recipe on Cookie Madness.
This recipe is based on an old one from Pillsbury which calls for a 16 ounce package of dough. You can certainly go the packaged dough route, but if you have some basic ingredients around it’s pretty easy to make the dough from scratch. The catch with these bars is they need plenty of time to chill, so you have to make them several hours or even a day in advance. Once they are firm, they slice neatly and are quite pretty. They’re also rich, so even though they’re made in an 8 inch pan you can cut them into fairly small pieces.
Here’s what they look like before going in the oven.
I probably should have taken an “after” picture so you could see what they like when they come out of the oven. They really puff up quite a bit to the point where you may question whether or not an 8 inch pan was the right size, but don’t worry — they settle back down as they cool.
- 8 tablespoons softened butter (120 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190 grams)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil or line with regular foil and grease it.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in both sugars, vanilla, salt and baking soda and continue beating until well mixed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and stir by hand until mixture is well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Empty mixture onto a flat surface and shape into a log. Cut off about ¼ of the log and save for future cookies.
- Cut remaining log in half and press half into the bottom of the lined pan.
- Prepare filling. Beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth, then beat in the vanilla and the egg. When smooth, stir in the chocolate chips. Pour this mixture over the chocolate chip cookie dough base.
- Break off very large marble size pieces of remaining dough and flatten. Lay the pieces over the cream cheese mixture, spreading evenly, until you’ve used all the dough. Cream cheese mixture will not be completely covered.
- Bake on the rack just below the center of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden. The bars will puff up quite a bit, but will sink somewhat as they cool.
- Let cool completely, then chill for at least 3 hours. Lift from pan and cut into squares.