Blueberry Lemon Cornflake Cookies

by on July 23, 2009 · 9 comments

You know what would be a good? Corn muffins with blueberries. But I didn’t think of that until after I’d made these cookies, which have a similar theme and breakfast potential. The cookies themselves are fairly soft, but they have crisp, golden edges and juiciness from the blueberries. I’m not sure how well they’ll keep, but I couldn’t stop eating them today so it’s not much of an issue.
To keep the blueberries from mushing all over, I froze them before adding them to the dough. This was very helpful when forming the first round of dough balls (no blueberry juice smears), but since I rarely bake up all the dough at once, I had to be more careful baking the next round of chilled dough because the blueberries had thawed.

blueberry-lemon-cookies

Lemon Cornflake Blueberry Cookies

1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (96 grams)
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour (135 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (use scant – ½ is salty, but in a good way)
1 cup corn flakes cereal, crushed after measuring
1 cup frozen blueberries tossed in 1 teaspoon flour

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the butter and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer, in a large mixing bowl, for about 2 minutes or until light and creamy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and lemon zest and juice; scrape sides of bowl and beat for another 30 seconds.

Thoroughly mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, gradually stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it is almost incorporated. Add the corn flakes and flour-tossed blueberries and stir until flour is fully incorporated.

Drop dough by rouned teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets spacing about 2 ½ inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cookies appear set.
Remove to a wire rack and cool cookies completely before serving.

Makes about 30 cookies

Published on July 23, 2009

Louise July 23, 2009 at 2:37 pm

In the photo the cornflakes look like chopped up corn.

Katrina July 23, 2009 at 3:38 pm

That does sound good–cornmeal with blueberries! Now you know what your next job is. ;)

CindyD July 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Have you ever made a cornbread casserole?
I’m wondering how it would be with fresh blueberries…

sherri July 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

This looks wonderful!

Louise July 24, 2009 at 8:31 am

What an intriguing recipe for National Blueberry Month which just so happens to be in July!!!

Thanks for sharing, Anna:)

Martha July 24, 2009 at 9:41 am

Don’t have cornflakes, but what about Wheaties & subbing some whole wheat flour? I’ll have to give it a try. I make pancakes with Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix & add blueberries – heavenly!

Holly July 26, 2009 at 11:45 am

Made these this morning with my 4 year old. They came out amazing. The first batch was a bit prettier than the second purple swirly ones, but so yummy.

I used 1 cup of teeny tiny wild blueberries I’d found in my freezer from LAST blueberry season and I was worried they might be a bit too wet and juicy. But they came out great, Thanx!

Anna July 26, 2009 at 11:47 am

Hi Holly,

Thanks for trying them :).

One thing I noticed about these cookies was that they were much better on the first day than the second. I’m sure they’d freeze well, but I think the fresh blueberries give them a pretty short “fresh” period.

corinne November 9, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I thought these tasted really good, but 1 cup was a bit too much berry for the batter for me – I couldn’t really get them all to stay in. I’ve frozen a bunch, uncooked, so the next few mornings should be tasty=)