Jumbo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

We had muffins again this morning.

pumpkin muffin

Fuzz agreed to pose with one.

Then “Yoink!”

Lizzie jumped up and grabbed it. She knows better, but we were asking for it holding the muffin up like that. Luckily, it was a super jumbo muffin so at least Fuzz got half. And really, that’s all you need. The jumbo muffins are excessive, but like I said before, they bake up with big moist centers and look kind of neat.

UPDATED:  This muffin recipe has been replaced by a new family favorite.

Jumbo Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
  • 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus a tablespoon
  • 1/2 scant teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 scant teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or use 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice and omit other spices)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 6 jumbo muffin cups or 12 regular with paper liners
  2. Beat the pumpkin, sugars, oil, and eggs together in a mixing bowl.
  3. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a second larger bowl.
  4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until well-mixed. Divide evenly among the muffin tins.
  5. Make topping. Mix together the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the flour so that you have a crumbly topping. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffins.
  6. Place in oven on center rack.
  7. REDUCE OVEN HEAT TO 350degree F.
  8. Bake for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.
If you make jumbo muffins you'll only get 6 and they will take longer to bake.

1. Louise says

Great photos. The muffin looks great too. I mean the whole one, not the remains after Fuzz then Lizzie. :-)

2. CL says

Happy New Year! Your muffin phase has inspired me to send muffins to work on Saturday. :) These and some William Shatner cappucino muffins plus a less sweet one like bran or cornbread, and the drivers will be happy people LOL. Thank you, Anna, for the terrific recipes and wonderful blogs. Best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful 2010! :)

3. Sara says

She is so cute…looks like a really happy kid. I hope 2010 is so good that I don’t want it to end!

4. Celia says

See, corgis masquerade as herding dogs, but they’re really mighty hunters stalking human food until the perfect moment to strike.

5. Alexa says

if the dog eats it i eat it too! 😛 joking. It looks really delicious actually! i’m trying homemade muffins for the first time today so wish me luck! Congrat for your blog by the way i’m adding you to my favs if that’s ok. Have a nice day :)

6. Melissa says

Just tried this one, it’s excellent! I didn’t have the exact spices on hand, so I substituted pumpkin pie spice. I also added a half tablespoon of orange zest, which I thought might be interesting, but it’s really pretty hard to notice IMO; I probably wouldn’t bother with that again. This marks the first time I’ve ever made muffins from scratch!

I made these muffins. They are the best homemade muffins I have ever eaten. They were easy to make and fit well into a jumbo 6 muffin pan. Looking forward to having them again!