Baked Potato Chips

I took a day off from baking sweets yesterday, so today’ I’m going to share something a little different. This is a recipe for one of our favorite side dishes –baked potato chips. These should probably be in the snack category, but I always serve them as an accompaniment to BLT’s and California Chardonnay. Classy, eh? Don’t laugh until you try Chardonnay with a BLT.

Anyway, here’s how to make the chips. For a family of 3, I start with 1 pound of medium size potatoes, but that’s the bare minimum. These fly off the plate… or cookie sheet, in this instance. Fuzz has a hard time waiting for them to cool.

potatochips5

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with non-stick foil or parchment paper. You can also use regular foil, but it will require a good coat of cooking spray or oil.

potatochips1

Using a mandolin set on 1/8 inch or your skills with a chef knife, slice the potatoes thinly until you have a big pile of raw potato chips.

potatochips2

Put the raw potatoes in a bowl and toss with the olive oil. You’ll be surprised at how far half a tablespoon goes. You can skip the oil altogether if you want, but the chips will be a little harder and chewier.

Arrange the potatoes flat on cookie sheets and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes, switching racks halfway through. Let the chips cool and crisp.  In this picture, they are jumbled up in a pile.  Don’t bake them in a pile.

potatochips4

Baked Potato Chips

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe for baked potato chips
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 pound of potatoes
  • 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line a two large baking sheets with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
  3. Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, cut the potatoes into very thin slices. Put the potato slices in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
  4. Arrange potatoes on the nonstick foil lined pan and bake for 30 minutes to 35 minutes.

Comments

I love baked potato chips. I toss them in a bit of olive oil and sprinkle them with fresh rosemary. That probably wouldn’t go over well with the kids though. :)

2. Therese B. says

Anna…

Those look delicious! Have you ever tried roasting chopped sweet potatoes with red
    baby tomatoes/EVO and Rosemary? Oh those are so good!!

Kristi, my kid would love that! Thanks for the rosemary idea. Have you ever had chips sprinkled with white truffle oil? Delmonico’s in Las Vegas serves them and they are incredible. The chips aren’t baked, though.

Therese, that’s an interesting combo. My mom would like it, for sure.

Kalyn, she certainly is growing up. I look at all the old photos of her from 2005 and can’t believe how time flies.

Mary, maybe I’ll post more savory snacks.

4. SherI says

yummy!
    i love making them myself and saving the calories and money!
    I have a recipe for doing them in the microwave with virtually no oil or fat but you can only make a smallish batch compared to the oven.

I used to make rosemary baked “fries” all the time. Never thought about cutting them into chips instead. Must give this a try, but first need to buy a mandolin.

6. Louise says

It’s good to have California Chardonnay with BLTs and home made potato chips. It reminds you that you are a grown-up after all. :-) I’m glad you posted this recipe. I forget about Baked Potato Chips and I was looking for something to make with burgers.

7. Cookies4kids says

My hubby just came down the steps to ask what I was going to make him for snacks. This couldn’t have come at a better time as he loves chips and fries. Have you seen the garnish for potato dishes where you take two of these thin slices of potato, butter both sides and lay a piece of regular flat leaf parsley in between the two. Press them together and bake the same way. They make a very impressive garnish.
    Thanks for the post.

8. Karen says

I love baking potato fries. And sweet potato fries. And carrot fries. And parsnip fries are amazingly good, too!

9. C L says

My husband and I make these frequently and like to sprinkle them with a blend of Italian-style seasonings and a touch of sea salt and cracked pepper. These chips are sooo delicious! I’m delighted you posted this recipe because more folks need to know about these. Thank you, Anna! :)

10. Kathie says

I read your post and ran to the kitchen…these are baking in the oven as I write this post…THANKS!!

I love hearing all these variations and suddenly feel the need to buy some big fat carrots and parsnips.

The mandoline makes these really easy. To be honest, I don’t use my mandoline as often as it should but a mandoline is worthing owning for chips alone.

Cookies4kids, thanks for the tip on layering parsley between chips and baking. I’d never heard of that until you mentioned it. I guess you could also do a Mexican or Thai version with cilantro ;).

12. SherI says

made them right after your post- 9 minute microwave and 20 minute oven- both were fabulous, no real difference in flavor, just a bigger batch fits in the oven

13. Sam Kathryn says

Awesome! Looks great! I’m planning to transform my whole grain tortillas into some homemade chips as well. Yum yum.

14. MikeW says

A Spanish restaurant near us always has some of these potatoes on the plate. I love it! The ones on top are wonderfully crispy, and the ones on the bottom soak up the wonderful sauces & gravies.

15. SherI says

tip I read the other day for oven fries- actually two tips- soak in hot or cold water for 10 minutes before drying them off and sending them into the oven- cold is supposed to release the starch and make them crispier or try hot- will reduce the cooking time.

16. Heather says

If you Also add a tsp of sugar or a little more to the water when you soad em it garentees they get brown and makes em taste more like potato without adding any sweetness!

17. Shelly says

Hi Anna,

Okay, I’ll ask the “huh?? question”. I see you used russets in the photo. I realize that sweet potatoes and russets are of a harder texture, but I love Gold/Yukon and fingerling potatoes. Are they to soft for potato chips?

Hi Shelly,

If you have some Yukons on hand, give it a try and let me know! I don’t buy them that often and haven’t tested.