Burnt Biscotti from Antico Forno del Ghetto

by on March 22, 2010 · 9 comments

Next time you burn a batch of biscotti, pat yourself on the back and say “This is the way they make it in Rome.” Or at least at one very special bakery, Antico Forno del Ghetto where everything is just a touch burnt.

Antico Forno del Ghetto is in the Jewish Ghetto located at the corner of Via del Portico d’Ottavia. Don’t look for a sign on the door.  The entrance looks like this and there’s usually a big line.

We went on a Friday afternoon shortly before sundown and luckily, the line was short. The ladies were serving burnt biscotti and deliciously charred macaroons.

I believe they sell other things depending on the time and day you visit.

Everyone moves fairly quickly in the bakery, so you have to have an idea of what you want before you go in.  Also, there aren’t any tables.   We took our sweets down the street to a little cappuccino bar, bought table service for an extra euro, and enjoyed our burnt pastries and coffee before heading on over to the amazing Portico d’Otavio.

Published on March 22, 2010

Lisa Ernst March 22, 2010 at 10:07 am

Interesting that they slightly burn their baked goods — no doubt it adds a real crunch! Reminds me of the “blackened” craze back in the ’80′s. Sometimes when I slightly burn the edges of my toast, I kind of enjoy the texture, so I can understand the appeal.

Louise March 22, 2010 at 10:29 am

Maybe they keep the mistakes for late in the day. :-) The biscotti looks way beyond slightly burned. The macaroons look ok. Toasted coconut is good. Did Fuzz get a new hat on the trip? I love it.

Judy March 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Love Fuzz’s hat!!! It looks so cute on her.

Suzy March 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I obviously need to move to Italy – my baked goods will fit right in!

Kathy March 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Coincidentally, I baked a batch of Cinnamon Oat Scones this morning from the recipe you published sometime back – I used a heavier pan than usual, and they scorched on the bottom. I feel better about it now!

Katy Glass March 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Those look different from their famous cinnamon almond biscotti. Were they cornmeal? The ones we loved were slightly less burned and the dough was more of a beige/caramel color.

Anna March 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Lisa, believe it or not they weren’t that crunchy. I think they must add some fat to the dough.

Louise and Judy, thanks for the compliment on Fuzz’s hat! I bought it for her and she loves it.

Suzy, your comment made me laught.

Kathy, I guess you have two choices — use a different pan or move to Rome.

Katy, I believe these were made with some kind of semolina flour. I didn’t have enough time to seek out more burnt biscotti, but I was happy that I found Antico Forno.

Dolce March 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

Also, the slightly burnt pieces are a sign that… this is home made, right ?? ;)

By the way, I have a Beautiful Blogger award for you on my blog :)

Kristen March 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

This is awesome. It’s going on my list of places to go. My grandma always said she preferred her toast burnt. I always thought she was full of it, but I love all kinds of burnt things now too. It’s not just for the texture. The flavor is great. Burnt edges on bread, macaroons, pizza, sugar cookies. Yummmm. The bitterness is tasty.