Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti is a recipe I came up with back when I was a slave to my discard. I took a break from sourdough (meaning, I threw it all out), but during that period I made Savory Sourdough Biscotti, Sourdough Discard Pretzels and more! This sweet lemony biscotti was one of our favorites.
The sour flavor goes well with the lemon, but if you want to make a different flavor just cut out zest and the and use vanilla, almond extract or whatever you are in the mood for.
Alternatives to Sourdough Lemon Biscotti
Sourdough Discard Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 175 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch turmeric optional, for color
- ½ cup sourdough discard (120 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 oz white chocolate, white bark or white chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and poppyseeds. If you are using turmeric, add a pinch of that as well.
- In a second bowl, whisk together sourdough, egg, oil, lemon zest and lemon extract. Stir sourdough mixture into the flour mixture.
- Knead together until you have a firm dough. Divide dough in half and shape into two logs about 6 inches long by 2 ½ inches wide. Do this directly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes, then remove from oven and allow the biscotti to cool for about 5 minutes or just until it is cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, reduce oven heat to 300 degrees F.
- Cut each log crosswise to make ¾ inch thick slices.
- Stand the slices on the baking sheet (or lay them, if you’d prefer) and bake at 300 degrees for about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- For a white chocolate dipped version, melt whatever kind of white chocolate you have in the microwave using 50% power and stirring every 40 to 60 seconds. Dip the biscotti in the white chocolate and chill until set.