Crispy Chocolate Chip Cheerio Cookies

by on April 5, 2010 · 17 comments

Apartment life is going well. Our neighbors are college students, retirees and families with kids. Judging from all the barking dogs and cats in windows, I think almost everyone around us has a pet. Speaking of which, Lizzie and the cat are adjusting quite nicely and Lizzie’s learning not to bark every time she hears a door slam.

What’s surprising is how much I’m enjoying working in this apartment sized kitchen. It’s so small that no matter how organized I am, there’s a mess. However, clean-up seems easier than in a large kitchen and I can do it all standing in one place.

Small Kitchen

Going from gas to electric was fairly easy, though the oven seems to be running a tad bit hotter than my other one. For testing, I made a batch of these cookies which were so good I would definitely make them again.

This recipe is adapted from a 1977 Cheerios recipe booklet. The cookies are light, crisp and have a vanilla-oat flavor plus a light texture from the Cheerios. My add-in was dark chocolate chips, but I set aside some of the dough and plan to try these with coconut and/or cinnamon chips.

I typed the recipe below as I made it, but noticed Cheerios has an updated recipe on their website. For now, I’m sticking with this one because the cookies were so good.

Then again, if I were in a peanut butter mood I’d make these Cheerios Cookies again. The peanut butter cookies were very good too, but I’d say this non-peanut butter version is lighter and crispier.

Cheerio Cookies

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cheerio Cookies

6 oz (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cool room temperature or cold
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour (I used Gold Medal)
4 cups Cheerios
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips**

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat cool butter until creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until light. Reduce speed of mixer to medium and beat in water, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Add egg and beat just until it’s incorporated.

By hand, stir in the flour followed by the Cheerios, oats and chocolate chips.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes.

About about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.

**Variations
1 cup raisins
6 ounces chocolate chips (what I used)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup cinnamon chips

Published on April 5, 2010

Sue April 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That’s a pretty nice looking apartment kitchen! I’m glad that you’re adjusting.

I’ll definitely keep this recipe in mind. I eat store brand organic toasted o’s because oddly enough I like them better but they should work just as well in these cookies and I almost always have some in the cupboard. Thanks!

hulagirl247 April 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm

hi anna!

okay – i’ll bite – you are in a tiny apartment because…………….????? you’re remodelling your house?

if you think it was not an adjustment to go from a gas stove to an electric stove – you’re way better than me! i much prefer gas stove cooking for stove top items – but as for the oven – i do really prefer electric. all ovens – be they gas or electric – need to be checked and calibrated – which is why one should always have an oven thermometer – even if you have a new stove!

glad the family is adjusting to apartment life – just how temporary will it be?????

regards –

~hula~

Katrina April 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Glad you got all moved and are even baking again! So not really looking forward to our move to a little kitchen for a couple months. But ready or not, here it comes and I know it’ll be one step closer to our new home!
Fun Cherrios cookies. I just bought a giant box of Honey Nut. Hmm?

(We’ll have to compare our tiny kitchens when I get over there! :)

Lisa Ernst April 5, 2010 at 2:34 pm

These look yummy! I always have a version of Cheerios around the house (usually from Trader Joe’s or Publix.) Note to self: add cheerios to next batch of chocolate chip cookies!
Your apartment kitchen looks cozy.

Debbi April 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm

So what’s the reason for the move? Glad to see you are looking at the bright side of a tiny kitchen!

The cookies look fantastic. I can consider them “healthy” because they are made with cheerios and oatmeal right??

Kelly April 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I think it must all be a matter of perspective because that looks huge to me. :-) I’m still hoping to have my dream kitchen someday.

Katrina April 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ooh, just thought of the new chocolate Cherrios. Those would be good in a cookie!

Cheryl Cormier April 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

yummy and a recipe you can make with inexpensive items!

CindyD April 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Not interested in chocolate cereal for breakfast, but Katrina is right, they might be good in these cookies.
I have a granddaughter coming for two weeks when it will be too hot to bake and I need ideas for unbaked cookies other than Rice Crispy treats.

Anna April 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Sue, it’s all white. I thought I wouldn’t like an all-white kitchen because it gets messy so quickly, but it’s kind of nice because you can actually see the mess faster and clean it up more thoroughly.

Hula, we’re moving. We had to get out of our old house so new folks could move in. Meanwhile, the new on isn’t ready. Also, I probably do need an oven thermometer.

Katrina, the Cheerios website has recipes for Honey Nut too (of course). Chocolate Cheerios, eh?

Cheryl, that’s a good point.

Cindy, I’ll see what I can come up with. I’ll bet there are some good thing in Camilla Saulsbury’s No-Bake book or her Short-Cut book.

melissa April 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Yay, you’re moved in! Your kitchen looks cute.

Those cookies look fun to make with kids. I just caved the other day and bought TWO boxes of sugar cereals on sale for J’s “snack”cereal (as opposed to his “breakfast” cereal). So it’ll be awhile before I get another box of cereal again…

Daphne April 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I’m living in an apartment right now, also. My kitchen is even smaller that yours and believe it or not, I really enjoy cooking in there. It works out. These cookies may be the next on my “to do” list. I have some Honey Nut Cheerios that I think might make them really tasty. Thanks for the recipe!

Sue April 6, 2010 at 8:47 am

I think I’d love an all white kitchen if I lived by myself, but my husband likes to do things in the kitchen too and he definitely wouldn’t be able to cope with it. He’s not a ‘wipe it up right away’ kinda’ guy and I can just see all of the coffee stains!!
Your apartment kitchen looks like it has a lot more counter space than most apartment kitchens, and with a full size fridge, and dishwasher it seems pretty deluxe. I know my daughter would envy that kitchen.
We have a lot of counter space in our kitchen, but sometimes I think it’s just more space to collect stuff.
Enjoy the efficiency of it! Did you pack away most of your cookbooks?

radioactive tori April 7, 2010 at 7:22 am

A few years ago we lived in an apartment between houses. I thought I would hate the kitchen because it was so small but as it turned out I actually was the happiest I have ever been while we were living in the apartment. There was so little space that I knew exactly where everything was and cleaning was a breeze. I’m glad you are adjusting so easily!

Heather - Ghost Baker April 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

Any suggestions on type of cheerios? Multigrain are lightly sweetened.. might they be better than Honeynut?

Sheila in MD April 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I thought these looked interesting…and I went and bought the chocolate cheerios to try before reading the comments! Hope to try them tonight-will post if I do.

Sheila in MD April 12, 2010 at 10:57 am

Okay…tried them and took them to a dog agility trial this weekend where they got RAVE reviews! Had a good time saying that they included a “secret ingredient”…after people tasted them they would make guesses…one guessed “cereal” and another said “honey nut cheerios” which was the closest it got. Funny part was how many people had not heard of chocolate cheerios! I used semi-sweet choc. chips and a small amount of Raisonettes left from some other recipe. Used a pampered chef cookie scoop and baked 2 dozen cookies with a fair amount of dough left that went in fridge to bake later. Thanks for the recipe!

Sheila in MD