Forgotten Cookies

by on April 8, 2010 · 7 comments

Consider this Part II of the Custard with Whipped Cream and Blackberries post, because it’s what you can do with the two leftover egg whites.

This version of Forgotten Cookies, named because you put them in the oven and forget about them for 8 hours, calls for butterscotch chips and nuts. But of course you can use any combination of chips and nuts you like. I had walnuts, so I made butterscotch walnut and threw in a few chocolate chips as well.

While eating one of these, I had the same thought I did with the custard dessert. I wonder how Forgotten Cookies would be with chopped up Nilla wafers instead of nuts, some white chips instead of chocolate, and tablespoon of two of banana pudding mix in place of the same amount of sugar? You could call them Forgotten Banana Pudding Cookies.

I’m not sure why I’m obsessed with banana pudding today.

Forgotten Cookies

2 large egg whites, room temperature
1 pinch salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup toasted pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Beat egg whites until white and foamy. Gradually add salt and sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the vanilla, chips and nuts. Drop by tablespoons onto lined cookie sheets.

Place the cookies into the preheated oven, shut the door and turn off the oven immediately. Let cookies sit in the turned off oven for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.

Makes 18-24 depending on how big you make your scoops.

Published on April 8, 2010

Barbara April 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

This is probably a stupid question but can you make recipes like this with powdered egg whites?

Katrina April 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Not sure why you’re on a banana kick either, since “the others” won’t eat it, right? ;)

But that does sound really good and for some reason, I have an open thing of banana pudding. I’ll have to check the freezer for some egg whites.

Jennifer April 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I love meringue cookies. I usually put mini chocolate chips in and sliced almonds. I’ve never left them in the oven overnight, though, that’s a good idea.

Cookie April 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I’ve only made Meringue Cookies once and just baked them at a very low temperature for a couple of hours. I didn’t learn about the “forgotten” method until afterwards. I can’t wait to try these with the nuts and chips!

Anna April 8, 2010 at 5:07 pm

The only problem with the “Forgotten” method is you have to make them before bedtime. I’m usually tired and not in the mood to bake at night. During the day, it’t hard to find a 5-6 hour period where the oven is not in use.

janet April 9, 2010 at 6:25 am

These look wonderful!! A great way to finish up bits and pieces of chocolate, nuts, dried fruits(?) So, did ya make the banana pudding yet? Thanks for the recipe!

janet April 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

I made these but used toasted walnuts and leftover bits and pieces of bittersweet chocolate (rough choppe). Great recipe and very easy to make. Thanks!