My Favorite Cream Cheese Brownies

Snow Day! Fuzz is staying home from school today and to celebrate, we’re making our favorite brownies. It was a long time coming, but we finally found the cream cheese version we like best.

Cream Cheese Brownies

This recipe is adapted from the Tate’s Bake Shop cookbook, and to be honest I was a little hesitant about trying it. The brownies are made in a 9 inch square pan and call for a full pound of cream cheese. Also, the cream cheese filling only has 1 egg and 1/4 cup of sugar. Would it be sweet enough? Would it really fit in the pan?

Well, yes! With less sugar, we could really taste the tartness of the cream cheese and the small amount of egg kept the cream cheese mixture from browning too much or tasting eggy. I hope you like these as much as I do. If you’re curious as to how they taste but don’t want a full batch, you can also halve the recipe and make it in a 9 inch loaf pan.

Cream Cheese Brownies

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (9 oz)
2 sticks (8 oz total) salted butter** (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour (4.5 oz)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 inch square metal pan with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.

Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat or in microwave. Set aside to cool.

(While chocolate cools, you can make the filling. Directions for that are at bottom)

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Lower mixer speed and add eggs, one by one, followed by two teaspoons of vanilla, and melted chocolate. By hand or using the lowest speed of mixer, beat in the flour and salt.

Scrape all but about 1 cup of the chocolate batter into the foil lined pan and smooth it out. Spread the cream cheese filling over the chocolate mixture. Spoon the remaining chocolate batter over the cream cheese mixture. Pull a table knife through the layers of batter with a light lifting motivation to create a marble look.

Bake on center rack for 50 minutes. Set the brownies on a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely, then chill for a few hours or if you have the time, overnight. These are even better on Day 2.

Lift foil from pan, place on a cutting board, peel back foil and cut with a Chef’s knife.

Filling: To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the egg. Lower speed of mixer and beat the egg just until it’s mixed in.

**if using unsalted butter, add an extra scant ½ teaspoon of salt.

Comments

Oh my, these look delicious! My boyfriend’s birthday is coming up and cream cheese brownies are his favorite. I will definitely be making these! :)

Oh wow, a full pound of cream cheese…drool… Those look incredible! I’ve never tried making anything but boring old chocolate brownies, so I may have to add this to my “to make” list!

I have yet to make cream cheese brownies. I’ve wanted to for quite some time and these might be the ones. I find the idea of “less sweet” quite appealing :).

4. Helena says

This is actually the first recipe for cream cheese brownies where the cream cheese doesn’t look yellow and burnt. I really need to try these, I’ve been looking for a recipe with a rather tart flavor :)

I love it that school was cancelled for that snow. How much snow did you get?
    Those do look like a good cream cheese layered brownie.

I always feel like you read my mind–I was thinking of making cream cheese brownies for Superbowl Weekend (since it seems a way to combine cream cheesy dip and chocolate)!

I saw the pic and thought: wow, that looks like a lot of cream cheese, and then I read the recipe–1 pound of cc in a 9 inch pan. Oh baby!

Yeah, 1/4 cup sugar does not sound like enough for a full lb of cream cheese. And wow, 2 sticks butter AND a full lb of cream cheese in a small 9 inch pan?!!! That’s my kind of brownie. Sounds excellent. They look nice and thick. But I do admit, I would be tempted to dump a bit more sugar into the cream cheese.

8. d says

I made these last night but accidently used an 8″ pan instead of 9″. The middle wasn’t cooked through because of my mistake but the flavor and texture of the cooked edges were amazing!!! Will definitely make these again in the right sized pan. Thanks so much for posting this recipe Anna. I thought I already had a perfect cream cheese brownie recipe but these might be better!!!!

I’m surprised you were able to fit all of that into an 8 inch pan. Impressive. Yes, try again in the right size pan.