Mango Pie

This weekend I had dinner at a Cuban restaurant in Atlanta. The dessert offerings were key lime pie and mango pie, but it was one of those dinners where everyone eats so much that by the dessert hour, no one really cares about it no matter how enticing it sounds on the menu. But given my company, dessert was ordered anyway and two pieces of pie appeared on the table for sampling. The key lime was too sweet, not very tart and chalky tasting from the condensed milk, but the mango (a flavor I don’t care for, in general) was surprisingly tasty. It as was just as chalky as the key lime, but it had a mild mango flavor with a bit of tartness to it and would have made for a lovely dessert had I not been so full.

So I decided to make a mango pie when I got home. Here’s a photo I took last night, and I apologize for the lighting, but HAL broke one of my lights so everything’s half-lit.

Mango Pie

The mango pie recipe I ended up using was different than the type I tried in Atlanta. Rather than having a condensed milk base, it was made with cream, eggs, butter, and instead of mango, mango nectar – -the kind they sell on either the Mexican food aisle or juice aisle for 38 cents a can. I wasn’t sure whether it would pull its weight in terms of mango flavor, but the nectar was perfect and had just enough flavor so that you knew it was mango, but lacked whatever it is about mango flavor that I don’t like.

Mango Cream Pie Recipe is Here

Mango Cream Pie

The actual recipe didn’t call for whipped cream on top nor did it call for caramel sauce, but the whipped cream and caramel sauce made the pie. The filling was great, but all three tastes and textures together made it perfect, so if you use the recipe, definitely buy an extra cup of cream to whip up (I added about 1 1/2 tablespoons of powdered sugar) and some of your favorite caramel or dulce de leche sauce.

Comments

1. Lisa says

Hi Anna, I just recently stumbled upon your site and have been hooked ever since! I love looking through all the baking delights you’ve made over the past years :) Anyways, I have some questions to ask you about baking cookies. I’m quite a health-conscious person so I tend to steer away from using fattening items to bake (kinda impossible, i know). I usually substitute applesauce for oil and add very little sugar and lesser butter than required in recipes. I was wondering if its possible to reduce 1 cup of sugar to 1/4 cup of sugar in a cookie recipe? Would it affect the texture of the cookie etc.? Thanks in advance, looking forward to your reply :)

Mango isn’t a flavor I’m wild about either. Nice that you got just a taste of the restaurant version to spur you on to try your hand at it at home.
    BTW, I just had to click over to see the enticing photo of the pie, or was it exciting!? haha!
    Time to get to the gym b/4 the day totally gets away from me!

3. Jennifer says

I love mango, but I can see why others might not. It’s got a bit of a peppery flavor to it, I think. For awhile I thought I was allergic to mango, because after eating it a couple of times, I had a weird itchy feeling in my throat. I researched it, though, and found out that the mango is related to poison ivy! The outside of the mango can have poison-ivy like oils on it, so now I wash them really, really well before I slice them.

4. Shannon says

I love mangoes, but have never had mango pie (or any mango-baked-goods, really). This sounds really good. Is it like banana cream pie, but with mango?

Also, do you have a good recipe for homemade caramel sauce that would go well with this?

5. Louise says

Besides mango nectar, you can also get mango puree in the freezer case in many supermarkets carrying Hispanic foods. I, too, love mangoes, especially Champagne Mangoes. I always wash them with Veggie Wash, then peel and slice them, instead of the way they usually show you. Here’s more than you want to know about the mango plant — http://web.extension.illinois.edu/macon/palette/080203.html My Cuban cookbooks have lots of recipes with mango like mango fool, but no pie. David Leibovitz has an interesting Tropical Tiramisu including mango, but Fuzz probably wouldn’t like it as it has coconut.

That looks like a wonderful pie. I read the recipe and it’s not complicated at all. My daughter in law absolutely loves mango so I think I might give this a try and surprise her!!! Thanks!

Have you tried the Mango Pie from Yak & Yeti in Animal Kingdom? Jeff loves that one and has to have it every time.

8. Pam Shank says

Wow Anna this looks so good. I like mango but have never had a pie.
    looks like a wonderful summer dessert

Lisa, feel free to email whichever recipe you were interested in changing. Using applesauce works in some recipes, but not so well in others. It always changes the texture — sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It all depends on the recipe.

Sue, thanks for checking out the exciting photo. All those exclamation points were hard to resist, eh?

Jennifer, I had no idea mango was related to poison ivy. Thanks for the info.

Shannon, this was a lot like banana cream pie but with a mango flavored cream. Based on what you wrote, I think you would like it. I normally wouldn’t choose mango either, but this pie was really good. Also, I do not have caramel recipe to recommend. I seem to use a different recipe every time. For this pie, I used some Hershey’s caramel sauce I found in the refrigerator.

Joe, I’m trying to find that recipe. I’ve been searching Disney sites for the past 10 minutes and haven’t run across the actual recipe.

Never tasted a mango, but I like all fruit and most cream pies so I’ll bet this would be delicious! Whipped cream and caramel make almost anything taste good! (well, not steak).

11. pumpkinpie says

I thought I hated mangoes until I tried some of the Asian varieties. The Taiwanese and Thai mangoes are my favorite. Philippine mangoes are also fantastic. Try cooking oat groats with coconut milk, then topping with fresh mango for an indulgent breakfast reminiscent of mango sticky rice.

12. Molly says

I love love love mangos. The recipe sounds delicious and I love the way you piped the topping :)

13. Zenn says

OMG… Mango grows into a huge tree, it is no where near related to any vine or shrub…I dont know where people get this information. Mango can be dried and rehydrated, can be made into fruit roll ups, you can puree it yourself ffor pies…mix with apples in pie, it just takes a bit longer to cook, so I precook the mango first…makes fabulous cheese cake….can be used in place of ANY fruit….in just about any recipe