Extreme Fudgy Peanut Butter Brownies

I’ll never be the Queen of Cake Balls, but I make a pretty good brownie and am always up for new ideas — especially if they involve peanut butter

peanut butter brownie

This Extreme Fudgy Peanut Butter Brownie is another one from (you guessed it) Duncan Hines and will be a featured dessert at Emmy events.  I figured I’d better make a batch before I left town; you know, in case I go searching for the brownies only to find they’ve been gobbled up.

To be honest, as I made the mix-based brownies I kept thinking this was a one-shot deal and I’d re-do the recipe as scratch. But as it happened, the mix version was pretty good and I’ve come to the conclusion that in some brownie recipes, specifically ones that are doctored with rich, rich, toppings, the texture of brownie mix brownies is kind of a relief and complements the other components.  Which is not to say you couldn’t make this with a less-rich scratch or slightly cakey scratch brownie, I just tend to make really fudge, rich, dense scratch brownies with textures that might be overkill when combined with high butter toppings.  Blah, blah, blah.  Sorry to ramble about texture.  The point is, these were really good and quite convenient to put together.

Now if you’re suddenly hungry for peanut butter brownies, here are a few more that come to mind.  First, this is one. It’s among my all-time favorites and like the Duncan Hines brownies, it’s great made with brownie mix because the toppings are so rich there’s a nice yin yang.

Marshmallow Krispie Topped Brownies

brownie

For a scratch peanut butter brownie, it’s hard to beat Dorie Greenspan’s Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie.

pbbrownieforblog.jpg

And then there’s this one which I haven’t made in a while but is spectacular, Peanut Butter Marble Brownies.  These are different because the base is actually a peanut butter brownie with a chocolate marble section baked in, and a chocolate ganache swirled through the peanut butter topping.

Marbled Peanut Butter Brownie

There are a lot more where these came from, but the ones on the list were the first to come to mind. If you’re still on the hunt, check the side bar.

Comments

I enjoy your rambling..I do the same thing sometimes!… At least here you are among friends-when I used to ramble to my coworkers about baking related technical issues related to what I brought in for them to try, I would watch eyes become glassy and glazed over! I love chocolate and peanut butter together, but I haven’t had a brownie with it yet. I’m more of a salty peanut butter with chocolate fan. I wonder if the brownies with taste okay if the peanut butter didn’t have any sugar in it? As a matter of fact I think I may try it that way and find out! I hope the weather is better in California than it is here-we had frost last night!

You are killing me. PB and chocolate is my weakness. My OB is going to shame me once I make these and devour the whole batch. This monthly weigh-in during pregnancy is really cramping my style!

3. Louise says

In spite of usually doing only baked from scratch, I think I could eat the Duncan Hines brownie if there was ganache instead of their frosting on top. It’s good enough for the Emmys, so it should be good enough for me. :-)

In theory I don’t have a problem with boxed products, but because I don’t get to bake often I always like to do things from scratch :) and we also don’t always have the same products here :). Regardless, PB + Chocolate brownies will probably be making an appearance on my Thanksgiving menu, and my family will worship me afterwards :). Thanks for the idea :).

Oh and as Gloria pointed out, we enjoy when you ramble, hell if I’m not rambling I’m probably sleeping (though I have been known to talk in my sleep too :)).

A little yin and yang is always nice. ;)
    I love those rice crispy ones–if you like pb/chocolate–it just gets better with crispies and mallow.

6. Martha in KS says

I have yet to bake a batch of brownies that are better than a Pillsbury mix. In fact, I just took a pan out of the oven, which I enhanced with walnuts & a creamy, chocolate icing. Mahvelous!

7. Gerri says

Like Martha, in KS, I’ve always been pretty satisfied with the Pillsbury Brownie Mix. Then my son came home from Costco with a huge box of Ghirradelhi Brownie Mix. OMG!!! To die for…..even before I iced them with a fudge icing! Goin’ to try this recipe with the next batch! Nothing better than chocolate except for chocolate with pb!