Bavarian Cheesecake from Epcot’s Germany Biergarten

I’d like to say I baked this cheesecake, but the truth is I purchased it from the Biergarten Restaurant in Epcot’s Germany pavillion. It’s the real thing! We’re finishing up a short trip to Disney World where we celebrated the last few days of summer break and Fuzz’s birthday. I can’t wait to get home and bake this.

20120823-090602.jpg

I usually associate German cakes with Black Forest rather than cheesecake, so it was a nice surprise to find out that Germany specializes in it. The Bavarian style filling is not quite as dense as other cheesecakes, not-too-sweet, and nestled between two layers of very light sponge cake that’s been dusted with a thick layer of feather-light powdered sugar. They must have sifted it a hundred times.

Here’s a link to the recipe if you want to try it.

Comments

Yum! Can’t wait for a recipe. We are in Ocean City now and will be heading back home tonight or in the morning. I can’t wait to get home and get some baking in.

2. Darlene says

Oh, that filling looks divine. I have to check the internet though to see what Baker’s cheese is. From the looks of the final product, it must be something scrumptious!

3. Martha in KS says

Looks like Baker’s cheese isn’t available except in Wisconsin. It’s a dry curded low-fat cheese. Anna, what are you going to use instead – maybe homemade ricotta?

4. beth says

Lucky you to be enjoying EPCOT! Happy Birthday to Fuzz!!! Will she also be getting one of those extra special birthday cakes that you make for her each year? I LOVE the Biergarten cheesecake, and the powdered sugar they top it with. I wonder if they use a special powdered sugar because I remember it tasting a bit different than what I use at home. Maybe a bit less sweet or maybe it’s just the sifting? Anyway…. Enjoy your trip!!

beth

Lisa, the recipe is on the link so you CAN make it.

Beth, the powdered sugar was similar to some I bought while in Italy. So it must be some special type of extra light powdered sugar. I’m glad you noticed it, too.

Martha, I’ll probably use whole milk ricotta or pureed cottage cheese. I need to do a little research, but I have a feeling the special cheese helped make the filling light.

6. Suz says

While Germans do indeed specialise in cheesecakes, they would never use cream cheese or sour cream in it. In Germany, we differentiate beween Käsekuchen, which is a completely baked cake with a pastry crust and a curd filling, and Käsesahnekuchen, which sports a spongecake top and base and is filled with a mixture of curd and cream (not heavy cream, though), then chilled. Also: Raisins! Yum!

7. Anonymous says

The cheesecake (Käsekuchen) I was familiar with in Germany seemed much lighter than American cheesecake and used Quark instead of cream cheese, I think. Maybe cream cheese + baker’s cheese makes a passable substitute? I’ll be watching to see how yours comes out!

8. Robyn says

Tim, thanks for asking! No, I haven’t found any yet. I haven’t gone to any specialty stores, though.

10. Shannon says

Thanks for posting this recipe. We went & ate at this restaurant at Epcot a few years back & I absolutely loved this dessert. Just wasn’t sure what it was. Now instead of wishing I was eating this, I can now bake one. Thanks again.

Hi Shannon,

Good luck! Let me know if you try it. I still haven’t made it because I always forget to buy the special cheese.

12. Hannah says

Google said farmers cheese is the same, I found Wisconsin farmers cheese at Kroger, it was pretty solid, so I cut it up and put it in the microwave to soften it and then I crushed it up with my hand, probably should have done more crushing because I still had a difficult time mixing it till smooth. Some of the filling I ended up not using because of this. Not sure if I’m supposed to let it set over night in the fridge or on the counter. I put it in the fridge because it’s cheese, milk, and eggs. Let me know if this is wrong. Will post again after tomorrow and I actually try it. I hope it’s ok.