Here's the scoop. Version 3, the one I accidentally forgot to seal with foil, turned out to be really good, so I think I'm going to recommend skipping the foil part and bake uncovered. Here are the new directions. When I get back from NYC (bye, btw), I will work more on this cake. It's good like this, but I want to try it with some variations and make sure it will work for everyone.
Chocolate Cheesecake Bundt Cake...Again
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup egg whites 4
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 box 18.25 oz Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups water or use ⅔ coffee and ⅔ water
- Fill a large roasting pan with a little over an inch of water. Place in oven and turn heat to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a standard size (12 cup) bundt pan with flour-added baking spray.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave save mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir.
- Using a hand held electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese into melted chocolate. Add corn syrup and sugar and beat for two minutes or until batter starts to smooth out a bit. Stir, do not beat, in egg whites and vanilla - batter should be smooth and shiny at this point.
- Pour mixture into bundt pan, scraping sides of bowl to get it all in. Smooth with a spatula and rap pan on counter to bring air bubbles to top (should help make cheesecake part more dense and creamy)
- In same bowl (no need to rinse), combine cake mix, oil, eggs and water or water/coffee combo. Stir until combined. Using electric mixer, beat for about 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Pour over cream cheese mixture. NOTE: If you are daring, try a doctored cake mix or scratch cake at this point....I haven't had time yet.
- Remove roasting pan with water from oven. Place bundt pan in water and check to make sure water goes about halfway up sides of pan. If not, pour in some extra water. Place bundt in hot water and return to oven. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove pan from water and let cool for 20 minutes in pan. Trim cake that has risen above bundt. Lay a platter over the pan and carefully invert cake from pan. Let cool for a half hour or so at room temperature, then transfer to refrigerator to chill thoroughly. The cake might not seem very moist at first (unless you take the daring route and use a doctored cake mix recipe) but it will get moister as it sits.
- Another variation you could try is instead of pouring a standard cake mix cake over top, use a box of cake mix, 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling, 2 eggs and some almond and/or vanilla extract.