Updated! I’ve been working with this recipe over the years and have since updated it a bit. The old version called for cake flour and a bit of brown sugar, but this new version uses all-purpose flour, which makes the cupcakes a little bit sturdier. I also omitted the brown sugar in favor of all granulated and used Boyajian lemon oil for extra lemon flavor. Here’s a photo of the new muffins. Unfortunately, the little bit of a dome I had with the other muffins went away, but overall I like the texture of the new version better because the muffins are a bit sturdier.
Here’s a photo of the old cake version which are delicious, but a little more delicate in structure. I kept the old version in the notes in case you have cake flour and want to try a lighter muffin.
- 1 (4 serving size/3.4 oz) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 8 oz total)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (more if desired)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-2 tablespoon grated lemon zest (my friend taste tested and thought 1 was fine) or a teaspoon of good quality lemon oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and lemon juice. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and then pour in the melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir batter just until combined.
- Evenly divide batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Remove and place pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool.