This recipe for Sour Cream Chocolate Cookies is based on an old prize winner from Country Woman magazine.
The original version calls for 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. I used 1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips, which were perfect with the soft, thick, cakey and not-overly-rich dough. If you need sturdy-yet-moist and thick cookies, these are a good pick. One warning. Be careful not to over-bake and err on the side of under-baking. Once you nail the bake-time with your own oven, you’ll love these.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cookies
Double chocolate cookies with sour cream in them.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened (114 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (!100 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream regular, not light!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour spoon, don't scoop
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or use a mixture of chocolate and white chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars. Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in chips. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until set - do not overbake. They should still look kind of moist on top when you take them out. They will set as they cool.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am so happy to have found this recipe again. I had it a few years ago out of the country women magazine and lost in in the move. My kids have been asking me to make them, they are amazing.
i just made these, they are so good! when i took them out they didnt look all that chocolatey but they were awesome, dont go short on chocolate chops! thanks for the recipe. i love your website.
I found this recipe a few months ago and my son LOVES them. I froze a batch for Christmas but they need a snack for school – so off they went. I lost the recipe and had no idea where to find it when by chance I just found it again!! I could cry – They’re that good. THANK YOU!
I made these tonight, and they were so good! Exactly what I was hoping for.
Thanks for always having great recipes!
These are SOOOOOO yummy! My dad and I couldn’t stop eating the batter. Thanks for a great recipe!
I just made these tonight, and they are AMAZING!
yum. the title of these cookies sounds great on its own. and then the photos make them even more enticing! thanks for posting this one– i can’t wait to try them for myself.