To celebrate Friday, here’s the latest, greatest, coconut cream pie recipe! I’m calling it Maple Coconut Chips Coconut Cream Pie because it’s a basic coconut cream pie topped with maple toasted coconut chips. If you are wondering what the heck those are, they are just plain unsweetened coconut chips tossed with a little maple syrup, coconut oil and salt and toasted until golden. They’re simple, and they make the pie more interesting.
Maple Coconut Chips on Top Only
Along with the maple coconut chips, what I like about this pie is that the coconut is only on top and not in the filling itself. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, and usually I do put coconut in the filling. But in this case the filling is is flavored with just vanilla and coconut extract so it’s smooth textured. It’s creamy, but it’s also a pretty stiff pie, which is not surprising considering it’s thickened with 3 eggs, a half cup of flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, I guess my family likes stiff pies because they thought it was great.
I’ll be making this one again soon because we loved it, but if this recipe isn’t for you there are lots of other coconut cream pie recipes on Cookie Madness. Some have special ingredients like coconut milk or cream of coconut, a couple (like Claremont Diner Coconut Cream Pie) are light textured pies thickened with gelatin. And then there are the basic ones I make most often like Favorite Coconut Cream Pie which is made with whole milk. It’s a little less rich than some, but still very good, and we always have the ingredients around. If you have a favorite, please let me know!
Maple Coconut Chips Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell Deep Dish
- 3/4 cup sugar 150 grams
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 65 grams
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half & half 480 grams
- 1 cup heavy cream 240 grams
- 3 large eggs room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups whipped topping or freshly whipped cream**
- 1 cup coconut unsweetened chips or coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the eggs, then gradually add the half & half and the cream.
- Set over medium heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Once the mixture begins to boil, continue stirring and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in extracts. Let the filling cool for about 20 minutes. Pour filling into pie shell and chill, uncovered, overnight.
- Prepare the coconut chips. Toss the chips with the maple syrup and coconut oil, then lay flat on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 5 minutes or just until the chips are lightly toasted. Toss with a little kosher or sea salt and let cool.
- Cover pie with whipped topping or freshly whipped cream and toasted coconut chips