Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies came about via experimentation. I guess I was in the mood for cheesecake brownies and wanted to jazz them up a bit. The recipe worked! These days I'd probably just go for either cheesecake brownies OR peanut butter swirl brownies, but if you are looking to combine all those flavors these are worth a try.
This makes a 13x9 inch pan of brownies. If you are short on cream cheese or want to try a smaller batch, you can halve the recipe and bake the brownies in an 8 inch square pan.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Marbled Brownies
- 8 oz unsalted butter – (230 grams)
- 2 ¼ cups granulated sugar (450 grams)
- 1 ¼ cups Dutch process cocoa **
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour (192 grams)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (170 grams)
Peanut Butter Mixture
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened (90 grams)
- ⅓ cup peanut butter (85 grams)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 grams)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 C) Line a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter on high. When butter is melted, stir in the sugar. Return the mixture to the microwave and heat until mixture is very hot but not bubbling (1 minute). Stir well to help dissolve some of the sugar – mixture should appear shiny.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating till smooth; then add the flour and chips, stirring until combined. Spoon ¾ of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Prepare peanut butter mixture by beating “Peanut Butter Mixture” ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Drop spoonfuls of peanut butter mixture over brownie batter, then drop remaining brownie batter of peanut butter mixture – not covering it entirely but creating kind of a big speckled pattern. Gently drag a knife through top to create a pretty marbled effect.
- Bake the brownies for 28 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out dry. Remove them from the oven and after 5 minutes, loosen the edges with a table knife. This helps prevent sinking as they cool. Cool completely (and chill for better cutting) then cut and serve.
- Makes 12 large or 24 normal size brownies