It’s been a great day. The housekeepers came, I finished some chores I’d been avoiding, and I got an email asking if I’d bake something for Teacher Appreciation Day. Well of course! I had an instant excuse to test out a new brownie – something I built using a couple of other brownie recipes.
These are great and I can’t wait to serve them. Personally, I like more peanut butter/less cheesecake so I’m going to try another batch using the weird peanut butter ribbons from last week. I’ll let you know how that goes. For now, here’s a great brownie recipe. This makes a 13×9 inch pan which you can cut into whatever size brownies you need. I cut mine into 12 very large brownies.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Marbled Brownies
- 8 oz unsalted butter – 230 grams
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar 447 grams
- 1 1/4 cups Dutch process cocoa or European Style
- 1 teaspoon salt 5 ml
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 5 ml
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 15 ml
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour 192
- 1 cup chocolate chips 170 grams
Peanut Butter Mixture
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened (90 grams)
- 1/3 c. peanut butter 85 grams
- 1/4 c. sugar 50 grams
- 1 tsp. vanilla 5 ml
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 C) Line a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter on high. When butter is melted, stir in the sugar. Return the mixture to the microwave and heat until mixture is very hot but not bubbling (1 minute). Stir well to help dissolve some of the sugar – mixture should appear shiny.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating till smooth; then add the flour and chips, stirring until combined. Spoon 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Prepare peanut butter mixture by beating “Peanut Butter Mixture” ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Drop spoonfuls of peanut butter mixture over brownie batter, then drop remaining brownie batter of peanut butter mixture – not covering it entirely but creating kind of a big speckled pattern. Gently drag a knife through top to create a pretty marbled effect.
- Bake the brownies for 28 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out dry. Remove them from the oven and after 5 minutes, loosen the edges with a table knife. This helps prevent sinking as they cool. Cool completely (and chill for better cutting) then cut and serve.
- Makes 12 large or 24 normal size brownies