This is a new and improved version of one of my old favorite recipes, Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. The original version didn’t include the peanut butter swirl, but I am a peanut butter lover and wouldn’t make these without it.
My baking buddy, Gloria, invented the original version by adding banana to regular brownie batter. In addition to the banana, the recipe calls for a combination of different chocolates including 5 oz of semisweet and 1 oz of bittersweet. For the brownies in the photo, I used 5 oz Trader Joe’s Dark and 1 oz of Lindt 70%. Different combinations of semisweet and bittersweet or perhaps all bittersweet or all dark (around 50% or a little under) should work, but the levels of sweetness will vary.
For the creamy peanut butter swirl, I recommend using a mainstream sweetened peanut butter. I usually use Jif or Skippy Natural because both peanuts butters are very smooth and the peanut butter is just sweet enough so that no extra sugar is required. What I do add is a bit of coconut oil to keep it from drying out too much.
And finally, my biggest update to Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies was to go from an 8 inch square to a 9 inch square pan. The thinner brownies give you a better ratio of peanut butter to brownie and the brownies bake a little faster.
Chocolate-Banana Peanut Butter Streusel Brownies and Chocolate-Banana Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- 6 tablespoons salted butter or Earth Balance
- 5 oz semisweet or dark chocolate chopped
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped (71%)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 of a large banana 56 grams
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 200 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 84 grams**
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter, add an extra pinch
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter softened plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and add the chocolate. Cook and stir over low until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana until smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add melted chocolate mixture to banana mixture and stir until combined, then stir in the salt and the flour.
- Check to make sure mixture is not too warm, then add the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter in the pan and spread evenly
- Mix together peanut butter and oil and drop spoonfuls of peanut butter over the batter. Drag a knife through to make a marble pattern.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brownies appear set. While brownies are hot, drop small spoonfuls of peanut butter over the peanut butter marbled areas so they'll appear smooth again.
- Let cool to room temperature, then chill for about 2 hours. Lift from pan and cut into squares.
I hope you like these “new and improved” Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.
If you improve them even more or have any issues, let me know.