You know how Donny and Marie are a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll? Well, Marbled Peanut Butter & Nutella bars are a little bit European and a little bit American.
The base is a peanut butter brownie and the swirl is made from dark chocolate, Nutella and butter. For a richer hazelnut flavor, use a hazelnut flavored dark chocolate bar. Green & Black’s dark chocolate with hazelnuts & currants would work (if you don’t mind a few currants) or you could use a dark chocolate hazelnut flavored Ritter Sports Square. They have a pretty intense hazelnut flavor.
P.S. Don’t forget to let them cool completely. Chilling gives them a better texture, but you can serve them at room temperature (or cold, if you like cold brownies).
P.P.S. I’m sorry about the Donny and Marie joke. I’m alone and I’ve had too much coffee.
Marbled Peanut Butter & Nutella Brownies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 oz dark or dark chocolate with hazelnuts chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or line with regular foil and grease the foil.
- In a mixing bowl, using medium speed and high speed of an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until soft. Beat in vanilla and peanut butter, then add eggs and beat just until mixed in. Scrape sides of bowl and beat in baking powder and salt, making sure they are evenly distributed; Add flour and stir until it is mixed in. Spread peanut butter batter in pan.
- Make swirl mixture. Melt chocolate and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl at 50% power. Alternatively, you may use a double boiler or bowl set over a pot of barely simmer water. Remove melted chocolate from heat and stir in Nutella. Drop spoonfuls of Nutella mixture over peanut butter brownie batter and drag a knife through to make a marbled pattern.
- Bake on center rack for 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the side of the pan and center seems set. Cool pan on a wire rack. When brownies hit room temperature, chill them for an hour or so. Lift from pan and cut into squares.