I have so many oatmeal cookies I often forget about Thin Chewy Oatmeal Cookies. It's perfect for when you are craving really chewy cookies. Originally from a fun book called One Bite Won't Kill You, this recipe gives you cookies that are not only thin and chewy, but that bend before breaking. The secret is a lot of sugar.
Thin Chewy Oatmeal Cookies Oats Type
This is a halved version of the recipe, so if you want more than 24 cookies you'll need to double it. The original recipe calls for old fashioned oats, but quick cooking oats work well too. Lately I've been using a mixture of both types of oats, but that's not necessary. Just use what you have.
These are thin, chewy oatmeal cookies with a rich and sweet flavor. They are not the most beautiful cookies right out of the oven, and you'll have to let them cool and set, but they are delicious.
Tip for Even Chewier Cookies
If you have some cornstarch or better yet, modified starch such as Instant Clear Jel, add 1 teaspoon of it in with the sugar. The cookies are chewy without it, but the starch makes them just a bit chewier once cooled.
Other Recipes to Consider
Thin, Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- 8 tablespoons (114 grams) unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ cup (100 grams) brown sugar, light
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup (95 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ scant teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh nutmeg optional
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats or quick cooking if necessary
- ¾ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer; beat in vanilla and egg.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the oats, followed by the raisins.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop up rounds of dough, packing tightly. Arrange a few inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake one sheet at time for 10-12 minutes (mine usually take 14) or until cookies are brown around the edges and appear cooked in the center.
- Let sit on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks to Cool