This is a one bowl chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe based on an old Allrecipes cookie called Best Big Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies. While I can't say it's my favorite of all chocolate chip cookies, this one egg and one yolk chocolate chip cookie recipe has quite a following. I think people really like recipes where you just melt the butter and mix everything in a bowl.
I've played with it over the years by changing up the flour, using cultured butter and testing out different brands and types of sugar. Pretty much any variation works, and the texture is always crispy on the outside and chewy in the center.
One Bowl Cookie Recipe
Below is the one bowl method I use. I've noticed since then some people have taken this recipe and added cornstarch for extra chewiness, so you can try that if you want. I prefer these without cornstarch, but I do add it to my other old One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies which are a bit thinner and have more butter. One Bowl Thin and Buttery Cookies.
Update: Cook's Illustrated
The recipe here is based on the "Best Big Fat Chewy Cookies" on Allrecipes, but we think that one probably came from an older Cook's Illustrated recipe called "Thick Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. They're not exactly the same, but they're close enough. Since then, CI came up with another version calls for browned butter.
Another One Bowl Cookie
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter 170 grams
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 200 grams
- ½ cup white sugar 100 grams
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt plus an extra pinch ⅛ tsp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 grams
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips feel free to add more or use less
- Melt butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl.
- With a whisk or just a big spoon, beat both sugars into melted butter. Let cool for about 5 minutes, and then beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk.
- When mixture is well blended, beat in baking soda and salt, scraping sides of bowl to make sure baking soda is evenly distributed. Add flour and stir just until it is mixed in. Add chocolate chips. Chill dough for 1 hour or until pretty firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop up tablespoonfuls of dough and drop 1 inch mounds (approx) onto cookie sheets spacing about 3 inches apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies appear done and lightly browned around edges.
- Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling
- Makes 18-24, depending on how big you make your mounds and whether or not you add the extra chips