Zucchini Apple Bread is a great, fairly large batch zucchini bread recipe from Jane Doiron's book, Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms. She sent me a copy of the book years ago, and I've enjoyed trying some of her assemble-now, heat later entrees. The book also has some desserts and quick breads like peanut butter crackle cookies, mini cheesecakes, granola bars, Hawaiian bread, and scones. Out of all the recipes in the book, this one is probably my favorite.
Zucchini Apple Bread Notes
When I first tried this recipe it reminded me of the zucchini bread I'd tasted at Tartine Bakery in San Francisco. I'd also say this one is kid-friendly. The zucchini, if peeled, disappears into the bread so kids (or adults) who aren't fond of cooked fruit probably won't notice it.
Loaf Pan Size
This recipe makes 3 medium size loaves, but if you don’t have 8x4 inch pans, you can make 2 9x5 inch loaves or halve the recipe and make 1. But since the point of Jane’s book is make-ahead and since the bread is so good, why not make 3 and freeze them? I wish I had because this one's good enough to pull out for a luncheon or bake-sale.
Make-Ahead Zucchini Apple Bread
- 5 large eggs large
- 1 ½ cups canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (200 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all purpose flour (500 grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini excess moisture removed with paper towels
- 1 cup peeled grated apples (Granny Smith or Cortland)
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped (toasted) – Next time I’d use more
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray three 8x4x3 inch loaf pans with nonstick spray Two 9x5 inch pans also works.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla on medium speed until blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the egg mixture to the large bowl and mix on low speed until just combined. Stir in the zucchini, apples and walnuts.
- Pour the batter equally into the 3 loaf pans. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- -- Freezing Directions--
- When completely cooled, wrap the bread in plastic wrap and place in a labeled freezer bag. Freeze up to 2 months.