We don’t eat them very often, but when the family is in the mood for waffles we often make Malted Waffles. Malted Waffles are just regular waffles with malted milk powder in the batter.
I’ve tried a few different recipes over the years and this one, adapted from Baked Explorations, is our favorite. Usually only two of us are eating waffles, so my version makes a smaller batch.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a second bowl, whisk the egg in a second bowl. Whisk in the butter and buttermilk.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until mixed – there will be some lumps.
- Heat waffle maker as per manufacturer directions and. Brush lightly with oil. Drop batter onto waffle maker and use technique from manufacturer to make the waffles.