If you like the idea of the chocolate chip bars I posted yesterday but don’t want the whole wheat, here’s an excellent big batch chocolate chip bar recipe from my friend Pat. Pat bakes these in a 15×10 inch pan, but you can also make half the recipe and use a 13×9 inch pan. The bars come out of the oven a little cakey, then settle into dense, firm-but-moist bars.
A Big Batch Chocolate Chip Bar Recipe
- 8 oz regular salted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour Spoon and level -- (15 oz) -- weigh if you have scale
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 2 12 oz packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups 220 grams chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugars, beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and blend in. Add chips and nuts. Spread in a greased 15x 10 inch baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bars appear set. Cool and cut into bars.
- For a half batch, use a 13x9 inch pan. My half batches always take about 20 minutes, but this will vary depending on your oven.