This recipe for Frosted Irish Cream Brownies is an old one from 2011. Things I remember from back then include having double pneumonia, Will and Kate getting married and adopting our dog HAL, who is now a senior. Time really flies. Anyhow I have made a few updates to the brownies since I first posted
Natural cocoa powder is my favorite, but these brownies bake up a little fudgier when made with Dutch process . You can use either kind. In addition to changing the cocoa powder, I tested a half batch version using an 8 inch square pan. The brownies were done in 28 minutes. For a 9×13 inch pan you’ll want to check at 28 minutes, but it may take slightly longer. The frosting is also the same, but I drizzled some melted chocolate & coconut oil over the top.
The Old Irish Cream Brownies Post
It was quite a celebratory weekend around here! Everyone is healthy, it was Mother’s Day, and we have a new addition to the family – a rescue puppy from Town Lake Animal Shelter. He’s going to get his own separate post, though. This post is about Frosted Irish Cream Brownies.
A few months ago I bought some Michael’s Irish Cream on the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store. Bailey’s is good, but he said this one was a little better and slightly cheaper. It’s been quite wonderful for baking, though I’d have to drink it straight next to Bailey’s to say which one is really better. Anyhow, I had some on hand plus all the ingredients to make Frosted Irish Cream Brownies. They have a firm chocolate base (and definitely need the chocolate chips to counteract all the flour in the base) and a cream cheese/Irish Cream icing.
Frosted Irish Cream Brownies
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter melted and still hot
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Irish Cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar (380 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour** (170 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt use 1/4 tsp if using salted butter
- 1 cup Hershey’s special dark chocolate chips
Irish Cream Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar plus more as needed
- 2-4 tablespoons Irish Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl. Add half (1/3 cup) of the melted butter and stir until smooth, then add boiling water and stir until mixture thickens. Stir in Irish Cream, sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup butter.
- Add flour, vanilla and salt; blend completely. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 28 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack. If desired, brush the warm brownies with more Irish Cream.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter together, then add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until thick. Begin adding Irish Cream, beating until mixture is smooth and creamy. beat until light and creamy. Frost the brownies when they are cool.
- Lift from pan, set on a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.