Loose Granola Cookies are my alternative the old cookies I was making using ground granola. The reason for grinding it up was the granola I usually have on hand is chunky, so grinding it into a fine meal made sense. It’s still an option, but lately I’ve been making looser granola (the kind you sprinkle on top of things) and it works perfectly in these cookies as-is. No grinding required!
When made with loose granola, the cookies are slightly thick, have crumbly outsides and are soft in the center. The texture is similar to Grabbers, but maybe a little softer.
You can make these as large cookies, in which case you should get about 18. Alternatively, you can make medium size cookies using a medium cookie scoop for about 24 cookies.
Recipes Involving Granola
Loose Granola Cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (170 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 large large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup loose granola (not chunky) (140 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups extra dark chocolate chips or 6 to 9 ounces chocolate chunks**
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and both sugars until creamy using an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat just until it is incorporated. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix your flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into the sugar mixture gradually. When blended, stir in the ground granola, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Using a medium size cookie scoop, scoop out about 24 portions of dough. You can make the dough balls larger or smaller if you wish.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (check at 10) or until edges are lightly browned and cookies appear done. Let cool on baking sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
I subbed crasins for the chocolate chips and they were a WOW! I will definitely be making these again. thanks!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
wow, those sound so delicious and fabulous! thanks for sharing!
Yum! Granola + Twix would make a seriously awesome cookie, definitely going to try this one out!