I’ve been craving cookies with lots of oats and nuts lately, specifically, Monster Cookies. But since I already have so many Monster Cookies recipes I decided to try something a little different — Butterscotch Walnut Oat Bars. Unlike my favorite Monster Cookies, these Butterscotch, Walnut Oat Bars do not have peanut butter and are baked in bar form.
Butterscotch Walnut Oat Bars are similar to Blondies, but with more oats and varying textures. They are made in one bowl and baked in a 9×13 inch pan. For a half batch version, you can bake them in an 8 inch square pan.
Butterscotch Walnut Oat Bars
- 1 stick 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 cup very firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or 1/4 if using salted butter
- 1 cup 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats not instant
- 1 1/4 cup rice cereal Krispies
- 1 cup chopped and toasted walnuts nuts
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl. When melted, add the brown sugar to the hot butter and stir well. Stir in the granulated sugar, honey, vanilla and egg just until mixed. Beat in the baking powder and salt; stir in the flour. When well mixed, stir in the oats, cereal, nuts and butterscotch chips.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until bars appear set. Let cool completely in the pan, then lift from pan and cut into bars