Ann Romney’s Oatmeal M&M Cookies are made with oats, peanut butter and candy. They also go by the name Monster Cookies. They’re delicious, and I’ve made them about a zillion times since the recipe was posted.
Like most Monster Cookies recipes, Ann Romney’s Oatmeal M&M Cookies do not call for any flour so they are easy to make gluten-free. Just make sure any candies you use don’t contain hidden wheat and that the oats are approved gluten-free.
Oatmeal Snickers Cookies
I recently came up with a variation on Ann Romney’s Oatmeal M&M recipe and am calling the cookies Oatmeal Snickers Cookies. All you do is replace the candy with chopped up Snickers bars. The Snickers melt a bit so the cookies spread more. What you get are very thin, very chewy oatmeal cookies that taste like Snickers Bars. I lost track of how many Snickers I used, but they were fun size and I froze them before chopping. You can always find inexpensive packs of Snickers at Dollar Tree.
Here’s the recipe for Ann Romney’s Oatmeal MM Cookies. If you try them or the Snickers variation, let me know!
Ann Romney’s M&M Cookies aka Monster Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 200 grams
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (salted) 114 grams
- 1 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup such as Karo
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup M&M’s candies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugars, butter, peanut butter and corn syrup on high speed until creamy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oats and baking soda. Stir into peanut butter mixture until combined. Mix in chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Using about a 1/4 cup measure, drop dough onto baking sheets spacing at least 3 inches apart. Alternatively, you can shape the dough mounds, put on a plate, then cover and chill. This way you can bake when needed.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.