It’s starting to feel like Spring around here, so how about a nice lemony dessert? Er, sort of. This Lemon Lush doesn’t contain any actual lemons, but rather a box of instant lemon pudding, Cool Whip and cream cheese. In other words, it’s my husband’s favorite type of dessert.
The recipe is called Lemon Lush and the original source is Allrecipes.com. However, I might have missed it if I hadn’t seen it in a sample their new magazine which came bundled with the latest issue of Family Circle.
UPDATE: I’ve made this many times since posting. I usually halve the recipe and bake it in an 8 inch square dish, but when making for a group of people I go with the full version (below).
Dr. Oetker’s Lemon Pie Filling Substitute
These days I no longer use instant lemon pudding. Instead, I use Dr. Oetker’s Lemon Pie Filling which is a bit more tart and lemon-y. If you can’t find Dr. Oetker’s, you can still use the instant lemon pudding mix as written in the notes section.
Lemon Lush from All Recipes Magazine
- 2 sticks 8 oz salted butter, softened (or use unsalted and add 3/4 tsp salt)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 9 oz
- 1 box Dr. Oetker’s Lemon Pie Filling mix plus ingredients on package egg yolks & water**
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F . Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar. Add the flour and stir until well mixed. Press into bottom of pan and bake on center rack for 20 minutes or until it appears set. Be careful not to over bake or the crust will be hard.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Dr. Oetker’s lemon pie filling as per the directions. Set aside and allow it to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and well blended. Spread evenly over the cooled crust.
- Spread the cooled lemon pie filling mixture over the cream cheese mixture.
- Whip the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form, then stir in the vanilla. Spread or pipe over the lemon pie filling.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.