I like trying new and different vanilla frosting recipes, but when I need a solid tried and true recipe for topping cupcakes, this is my favorite vanilla frosting. This is known as American Buttercream and it’s what a lot of home bakers consider the best buttercream frosting for everyday cupcakes and such.
American Buttercream has plenty of butter, high quality vanilla and a little salt to offset the sweetness. Plus it’s easy! You can make it with any brand of vanilla extract or for a change of pace, vanilla bean paste. The frosting in the photo has vanilla bean paste, hence the speckles of vanilla bean.
Favorite Vanilla Frosting Brand of Vanilla
I love trying different brands of vanilla. My two favorites, especially for recipes like this where the vanilla is prominent, are Sonoma Syrups Vanilla Bean Crush and Nielsen Massey. Most often I buy Vanilla Massey. For a deeper flavor, I recommend the Nielsen Massey vanilla bean paste. This recipe is a great way to use it!
Favorite Vanilla Frosting
- 8 oz butter, softened (230 grams)
- 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar (1 pound) (448 grams)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract or Sonoma Syrups Vanilla Bean Crush (You can use less vanilla if desired)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt but only if using unsalted butter
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla and some (about a teaspoon) of the milk. Beat on high until light and creamy, scraping sides of bowl.
- Add remaining milk if needed. Taste test and add more sugar, vanilla or milk to get the consistency you want.
I love hearing from other bakers and appreciate helpful comments. Rude ones will be deleted immediately.