I like trying new and different vanilla frosting recipes, but when I need a solid tried and true recipe for topping cupcakes, this is my favorite vanilla frosting. It has plenty of butter, high quality vanilla and a little salt to offset the sweetness. You can make it with any brand of vanilla extract or for a change of pace, vanilla bean paste. The frosting in the photo has vanilla bean paste, hence the speckles of vanilla bean.
Favorite Vanilla Frosting Brand of Vanilla
I love trying different brands of vanilla. My two favorites, especially for recipes like this where the vanilla is prominent, are Sonoma Syrups Vanilla Bean Crush and Nielsen Massey. Most often I buy Vanilla Massey. For a deeper flavor, I recommend the Nielsen Massey vanilla bean paste. This recipe is a great way to use it!
Favorite Vanilla Frosting
- 2 sticks 8 oz butter, softened
- 1 pound 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract or Sonoma Syrups Vanilla Bean Crush
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoons salt but only if using unsalted butter
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla some of the milk. Beat on high until light and creamy, scraping sides of bowl.
- Add remaining milk if needed. Taste test and add more sugar, vanilla or milk to get the consistency you want.