One of our Sunday rituals is a trip to Trader Joe’s, where we scout out cheap wines, load up on produce, and see what’s new in the frozen aisle. Trader Joe’s is always changing things up, but one mainstay (and a personal favorite) is Trader Joe’s Salted Peanut Butter. It took me a while to get used to it because I’m partial to mainstream peanut butters like Jif or Skippy, but now I love Trader Joe’s and don’t really miss the sugar. Plus it works really well for baking. These Peanut Butter White and Chocolate Chunk Cookies are proof!
More sugar usually means more spreading, so in this case I think the sugar that’s missing from the peanut butter helps keeps the cookies nice and thick. In addition, less sugar means more peanut flavor. And finally, since the base dough isn’t quite as sweet, it makes a nice contrast to chunks of white chocolate, which are definitely sweet and which happen to go really well with peanut butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces weight)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (4 ounces weight)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter (5 ounces weight)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces weight)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (6 ounces weight)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 3 ounces white chocolate, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup lightly salted roasted peanuts
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, peanut butter and both sugars until creamy. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs.
- Add flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough. Stir in the dark and white chunks, then stir in the peanuts.
- Divide dough into 20 balls and arrange on a parchment or foil lined plate. Chill for an hour, then bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies appear set. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and let cool completely