Black Forest Pie is from one of my old Southern Living holiday books, and while I've treasured this particular book for years, I kept skipping over the recipe. What a mistake! It's a great little pie -- kind of a convenience/scratch pie hybrid in that most of the ingredients are scratch, but it does require canned cherry pie filling. The crust can be store-bought or homemade.
Black Forest vs. Brownie Pie
At first glance the Black Forest Pie recipe might remind you of Brownie Pie, which is a rich brownie baked in a pie crust. However, the filling is not like a brownie at all but rather a creamy cherry infused chocolate pudding. Once chilled and topped with cherries and whipped cream, it sets up beautifully.
I liked the short ingredient list (though I made it longer by adding vanilla and making my own crust) and found the process of making this a little more relaxing and passive than regular chocolate cream pie. Black Forest Pie freezes well, too. After I served a couple of pieces I froze the pie, cut it into triangles and froze the triangles individually.
Black Forest Pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell**
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ scant teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 21 ounce can of cherry pie filling
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degree and have ready a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. I
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour and salt (if using). Set over medium heat and gradually add the milk. Stir until smooth, then add the butter and stir until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Stir about ¼ of the mixture into the beaten eggs to temper, then pour all of the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium-low, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half the cherry pie filling and the vanilla. Pour into the unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until center is set, but still shiny. Let cool at room temperature, then chill for an hour or until cold.
- Prepare whipped cream. Beat the cream and 2 tablespoons of the sugar until stiff peaks start to form, then beat in vanilla. Taste test and add more sugar if desired. Pipe the sweetened whipped cream around the edge of the pie, then spoon remaining cherry pie filling in the center. Chill until ready to serve. This pie also freezes very well.