Continuing with the root beer theme, here’s another creation using root beer extract — Root Beer Gelato. I love this recipe because it reminds me of all the interesting flavors of gelato we tried in Rome.
This recipe is vanilla gelato flavored with root beer extract, and I like it a lot because it sticks with the higher milk, lower cream and egg ratio. It’s smooth, creamy and satisfying but not overly rich like some homemade ice cream can be.
Root Beer Flavor
As for the root beer flavor, you can keep it subtle or increase the extract. Since we all like different levels of root beer flavor, I made a quick side batch of root beer syrup (recipe is in the notes) so root beer lovers could drizzle on a little at the end for a bigger blast of root beer flavor.
Root Beer Gelato
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons root beer flavoring I used Watkins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the milk in a saucepan and heat until it begins to simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and salt.
- Slowly pour about half the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour it all back into the saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches 185F.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or into a rectangular casserole dish (for faster cooling). Whisk in the heavy cream, then whisk in the root beer flavoring and vanilla.
- Let cool slightly at room temperature and then chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s direction. Freeze for another hour or so before serving.
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon root beer extract Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir well, and let cool. Add the extract.
This mixture is very strong. To use it, simply spoon a very tiny amount over the root beer ice cream.
Well nuts! Now all I need is the ice cream maker! I’ve been eyeing the one that goes with the kitchen aid mixer….☺
I would love this! Smart idea to make the root beer drizzle too.