I tested this recipe for grain free brownies in a loaf pan thinking if I had to throw them out, at least I wouldn’t have wasted a lot of ingredients. However, we thought the brownies were great!
They’re made with coconut oil, coconut sugar, honey, coconut flour and almond flour. They do have a slight coconut flavor from the coconut sugar and coconut oil, but we liked that.
Flours for Grain Free Brownies
Now I will admit, I am not on a paleo or even a grain free diet, but I’m trying to cut down on white flour and grain free flours are pretty easy to find. In fact, I just saw that Bob’s Red Mill is making a paleo blend. But in this case all you need is some coconut flour and almond meal or almond flour. If you have a grinder, you could probably get away with just grinding 2 tablespoons of almonds. This recipe will give you 8 little brownies.
I hope you try the recipe or at least take a shot at some grain free baking using a different recipe. It’s kind of fun!
Grain Free Brownies
- 1/4 cup coconut oil 45 grams
- 3/4 ounce unsweetened chocolate chopped (21 grams)
- 2 1/4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 14 grams
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips 14 grams
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar 35 grams
- 1/4 cup honey 75 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour or almond meal
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the inside of a 9×5 inch or an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch metal loaf pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan set over medium heat. When it is about halfway melted, add the chocolate and reduce heat to low. Stir until chocolate melts, then stir in the cocoa powder and 3/4 oz of chocolate chips.
- Beat the egg with an electric mixer for 1 minute. With mixer going, gradually add the coconut sugar and continue beating for 2 minutes. Add the honey and continue beating on high for 2 to 3 more minutes. Beat in salt and vanilla.
- Fold about 1/3 cup of the egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture, then fold the chocolate mixture back into the bowl with the egg mixture. Stir in the coconut flour and almond flour.
- Spread batter in pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake for 25-27 minutes or until top appears set. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Lift from pan and cut into squares.
They look really good!
I make some brownies similar, but I think I’ve always only used cocoa powder and need to try melted chocolate. They look good!