Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies were inspired by some expensive “paleo” cookies I saw at the grocery store.
The recipe is simple and doesn’t require an electric mixer or a lot of ingredients.
And like the grocery paleo cookies, they have a fairly short ingredient list. Almond flour is the only specialty ingredient, and these days it’s pretty easy to come by.
I’ve only made these once and the recipe worked well on the first try. However, results may vary depending on brands of almond meal, maple syrup, how you measure, etc. Here’s what the consistency of the dough should look like.
They only take about 12 minutes to bake and taste terrific! Also, they are soft with crispy edges, so if you like soft cookies you should try them.
Update: The version below is good because it doesn’t call for many ingredients, but check out the variation in the notes section. It calls for protein powder (I use Garden of Life Raw Greens), nut butter and coconut sugar. In my opinion, the variation is a little better. Here are two photos of the variation.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour 150 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup unrefined or refined coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, mix the egg with the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined, then stir in the melted coconut oil.
- If the dough looks too wet, sprinkle in some more almond flour. The dough should be the consistency of thick mashed potatoes. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop up heaps of dough and arrange on the parchment lined baking sheet spacing about 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 12 to 15 minutes.
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plant protein powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons melted butter or Earth Balance instead of the coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 large egg
3 Tablespoons nut butter or almond butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I usually use more) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Mix together almond flour, protein powder and baking soda. Set aside.
In a second bowl, whisk together the melted butter and coconut sugar until blended, then whisk in the egg, almond butter and vanilla.
Fold the almond flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir until blended, then stir in the chocolate chips.
Divide into 12 large cookies. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes.