If hot summer days have you craving cool and creamy desserts, Julianne Bayer’s new cookbook No-Bake Treats is just what you need. Julianne, from the Beyond Frosting blog shares innovative recipes designed to “give your oven a break”. And if all the recipes in this book are as good as Julianne’s Coconut Lime Ice Cream Loaf, I will be giving my oven a break!
Ha ha. Just kidding.I never give my oven a break, but I’m pretty impressed with this cookbook.
Before I tell you more about the coconut lime dessert, I’ll mention a few other titles from the book — Ultimate Oreo Birthday Cake Cheesecake, Samoa Icebox Cake, Grasshopper Pie and No-Churn Espresso Bean Ice Cream. I have a feeling my family will like those, plus the pictures look good. Speaking of which, every recipe in the book has a picture. Here’s one of them.
Compare and contrast with the one I took.
I followed Julianne’s instructions, but used a smaller loaf pan, halved the filling, and garnished the top with whipped cream. I also defied the whole no-bake principle and made Alton Brown’s homemade vanilla wafers because I didn’t feel like spending $4.00 on a box of cookies just to grind up a cup. I did splurge and buy roasted, salted macadamia nuts, though. Jewel had some brand called Royal Hawaiian Orchard, and they were surprisingly good! Half the time, macadamia nuts taste stale.
So this was a fun, easy, dessert from an innovative cookbook that will keep you busy during the hot summer month and most likely, throughout the year.
Excerpt is from No-Bake Treats: Incredible Unbaked Cheesecakes, Icebox Cakes, Pies and More
Coconut Lime Ice Cream Loaf
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 heaping cup 141 g chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup 161 g vanilla wafer crumbs (I use Nilla wafers)
- 6 tbsp 86 g unsalted butter
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tbsp 385 ml heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup 130 g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 8 oz 227 g cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup 96 g granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup 76 g shredded sweetened coconut
FOR THE CRUST
- Before measuring, use a food processor or blender to chop the macadamia nuts into small pieces. Remove the nuts from the food processor and likewise grind the vanilla wafer cookies into fine crumbs and combine them with the chopped nuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter for 30 to 45 seconds. Stir the butter into the crust mixture until there are no dry crumbs left. Set aside 1 tablespoon (5 g) of the mixture to garnish the loaf. You will be dividing your crust into thirds to create the various layers.
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill. Pour 1 ½ cups (355 ml) of heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream gets bubbly. Slowly add the powdered sugar and coconut extract, and continue beating on high until stiff peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
- Switch to the paddle attachment on your mixer and beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Next, add the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of heavy whipping cream, the granulated sugar and the lime zest. Continue beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and ensure everything is evenly mixed.
- Fold the prepared whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and add the shredded coconut as you mix together the ice cream batter. Divide the ice cream into thirds.
- Prepare a large loaf pan by lining the sides and ends with parchment paper. Place ⅓ of the ice cream on the bottom of the loaf pan. Next, layer on ⅓ of the crust and gently pat it into the ice cream. Add a second and a third layer of ice cream and crust, alternating the two. The top layer will be crust. Freeze the ice cream for 4 to 6 hours until it’s completely firm. To serve, lift the ice cream out of pan and invert. Peel away the parchment paper and sprinkle the top with leftover coconut and macadamia nut crust that was set aside. Slice and enjoy.