If you like Almond Joy bars, here’s the baked goods counterpart. These Macaroon Brownies have a base of dense, rich, not-too-sweet brownie and a topping made with with cream cheese, sugar, egg and coconut.
There are dozens of variations on the Macaroon Brownies, with some being brownie-mix based and others being scratch. This one is a an easy scratch version made with chopped dark chocolate.
They are most definitely fudge brownies as opposed to cake-y, but they’re not super sweet even with the sweetened flaked coconut. Most versions are made in a 9×13 inch pan, but these Macaroon Brownies are baked in an 8 inch pan so you get just enough to satisfy the coconut lovers in the crowd.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 3/8 tsp salt or use salted butter
- 6 oz chopped semisweet or dark chocolate (45-60% cacao)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if butter is salted)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
- 2/3 cup toasted chopped almonds, divided use
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- About 1 cup (can use more if desired) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 square semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. when it's about halfway melted,add the chocolate. Reduce heat to low and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and salt. Add the flour and stir until blended, then stir in half of the almonds.
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Prepare topping. Mix the softened cream cheese with sugar and beat until smooth, then beat stir in the egg, vanilla and flour until blended. Stir in remaining almonds.
- Drop coconut mixture over chocolate mixture spreading gently.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, then let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle or pipe it over the cooled brownies, then chill for several hours.
- Lift from pan and cut into 16 squares.