I should have called these Clementine Glazed Banana Oatmeal Mounds since that’s what I used, but the original version of this recipe is called Orange Glazed Banana Oatmeal Mounds and uses orange. The recipe is from Cookies by the Dozen, an old cookbook with recipes that yield a dozen cookies.
As far as oatmeal and banana cookies go, these are pretty good. They are thick, chewy and cake-y and have a very interesting flavor.
I followed the recipe from the book and didn’t really make major changes, though I did add a handful of dried cranberries and chocolate chips to half of the batter and thought the cranberry chocolate version was a little better.
Just a Dozen Orange Glazed Banana Oatmeal Mounds
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 105 grams
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest I used a clementine
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats not instant (60 grams)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (56 grams)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar 70 grams
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup lightly packed mashed banana
- 2-3 teaspoons of orange juice I used 3 teaspoons clementine juice
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips and/or cranberries optional
- First, adjust the oven rack so that it’s in the top third of the oven.
- Have ready an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt, then mix in the nutmeg and orange zest. Add the oats and nuts and stir until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy, then add the brown sugar, egg white and vanilla and continue beating until creamy and light.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir by hand until well blended, then add the banana and stir until blended.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet and bake cookies 12 minutes at 375, turning tray after the first 7 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then remove from tray and cool on a wire rack. When cool, mix together orange juice and confectioners’ sugar and drizzle over cookies.