I haven’t baked a lot of different things this season, but I’ve made plenty of Biscotti. One of our current favorites is this Easy Gingerbread Biscotti. It’s an easy biscotti recipe that is neither too hard nor too crumbly, nor too spicy and not too sweet. It’s perfect dipped in white chocolate or my new find, Candiquick.
Now Candiquik is a whole different subject. I’d never seen it up until last week when I was shopping at a different grocery store in a different town. Based on what I read it has a loyal following because it’s easy to work with and sets up nicely. The taste part is subtle. I don’t care for the chocolate flavor, but the white Candiquik is good — at least good enough for dipping biscotti in. And I do like how it comes in a handy microwave-safe disposable tray which is the perfect shape for dipping biscotti.
All that being said, you can skip the Candiquik and use any icing or just leave it off completely.
This is a solid biscotti recipe and my family really enjoys it. If you are looking for one that is crunchier (harder) and spicier, I recommend Fine Cooking’s recipe.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 300 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar 140 grams
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Add sugar and beat for about 30 seconds, then beat in the oil, molasses and extract.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- With damp hands, shape the dough into a log about 11 inches long and 1 inch high.
- Bake on center rack for 25 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and cut into about 16 to 18 slices.
- Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees F.
- Stand biscotti bake on the baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Let cool.