I really love this homemade lemon curd recipe. It does not taste eggy, it is very smooth textured, and it has loads of lemon flavor. If I find a better recipe, I’ll let you know.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar 150 grams
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice 114 ml
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter (56 grams)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest (you can omit this if you want or use less)** from about 2 lemons
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks and 2 eggs.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar and lemon juice. Put water in the bottom of the double boiler and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beaten eggs to the sugar/juice mixture and set the top part of the double boiler over the simmering water. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This should be done slowly, which is why the double boiler helps. If you cook lemon curd too fast it can taste eggy. The stirring process should take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and pour it into a sieve set over a bowl. Push it through. Add butter one cube at a time, stirring after each cube, until mixture is smooth. Add the lemon zest. Let cool completely before serving.