Lemon Chocolate Cupcakes are based on a recipe from an old Duncan Hines promotion called The One Million Cupcake Challenge. That promotion ended long ago, so I’m just leaving the recipe here in case you are having a chocolate/lemon craving. It happens.
Photo Courtesy of Duncan Hines
Lemon Chocolate Cupcakes
1 pkg. Duncan Hines® Triple Chocolate® Decadent Cake Mix
1 cup jarred or homemade lemon curd
1 tub Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting
Juice and zest of one lemon
Yellow food coloring (optional)
1. Bake cupcakes as directed and let cool completely.
2. Using a paring knife, cut a small inverted cone out of the top center of the cupcake. Cut no more than 2/3 of the way down into the cupcake.
3. Fill the empty space in the cupcake with lemon curd (about one teaspoon).
4. Using a fine grater, take off the yellow zest of the entire lemon.
5. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze juice into a small bowl.
6. Add the lemon zest to the frosting.
7. Start by adding one teaspoon of lemon juice to the frosting. Mix and taste. If you want a stronger lemon flavor, begin adding more—a 1/2 teaspoon at a time to taste.
8. Add a drop of yellow food color to frosting and mix in thoroughly.
9. Frost cupcakes and serve.
Lovely photo, yet easy to do decorating. Gives the same effect as fresh flowers, doesn’t it? Great “chatting” with you btw. Have a great holiday.