I recently some organic bananas and didn’t like them. Cottage Cheese Banana Bread was the result! If you are looking to use up some cottage cheese (and bananas), give it a try. You can use either low fat or 4%.
Cottage Cheese Banana Bread Notes
I love this recipe because it always rises quite high and has a nice shape. In the past I’ve always made it with sour cream or yogurt, but cottage cheese works well in banana bread and the curds disappear as it bakes.
Loaf Pan Size
This recipe works in either an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 or 9×5 inch loaf pan, but in my opinion it looks better in the 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch pan. Here’s a link to my very favorite loaf pan. I actually purchased mine at Sur La Table, but they have the same one (USA Pan) on Amazon.
Cottage Cheese Banana Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour or use 1 1/2 cups AP and 1/2 cup whole wheat (270 grams total**)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large large ripe bananas (340 grams)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, try to get mostly curd (114 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (42 grams)
- 3 tablespoons your favorite oil (40 grams)
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and short sides of an 8 ½ by 4 ½ or a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line with a strip of parchment. Grease again, only going up about ¼ inch up the sides, then dust with flour.
- Mix together the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then stir in the cottage cheese, eggs, and vanilla.
- With a heavy duty scraper, stir the dry ingredients into the banana mixture.
- Pour the melted butter and oil over the batter (don’t forget this step! It’s easy to forget the butter since it’s usually not added last) and stir with a heavy scraper until well blended – do not overbeat, just gently fold. Stir in the nuts (if using).
- Transfer batter to the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until it appears cracked on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let cool for about half an hour, then loosen from pan. Let cool for another half hour, then remove from pan and let cool completely.