Thin and Crispy-Edged Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is one I put together after looking at quite a few different crispy chocolate chip cookie recipes. It has no eggs, does not involve any heavy beating but rather gentle mixing. The key to the crispiness is the lemon/baking soda mixture which fizzes up and makes the batter airy and light. The batter is shiny and buttery. It looks like the kind of batter that will bake into flat, pancake-like disaster cookies. Not so. Even un-chilled, the batter puffed up and spread out just right. I baked some unchilled and chilled the rest of the batter for about two hours and the cookies did the same thing. So it seems you can bake these right away, or leave the dough in the refrigerator and bake them when you feel like it.

In the oven, the cookies puff up high and then sink into wavy mounds. The edges will be very crispy right out of the oven. The centers remain sort of chewy for a while, but will crisp up over time.

stackedthincrispy.jpg

Thin and Crispy Edged Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour (spooned and swept)
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter, be a little more generous)
8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly (I used salted)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (less if desired)
1/4 cup pecans, chopped and toasted (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats

Thoroughly stir together the flour and salt; set aside. Place butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl and heat on high until melted. Stir both sugars into hot butter and let mixture sit for about 5 minutes so that sugar can dissolve a bit. Mixture will be shiny and buttery; stir in water and vanilla.

Sprinkle baking soda over sugar mixture, but do not mix. Sprinkle lemon juice over baking soda and watch it fizz for half a second. Stir the fizzies into the batter to make a light, bubbly batter.

Add flour/salt mixture mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in chips and toasted pecans (if using)

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lined baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Mine took 10. The edges should be brown, the middles should be a bit paler. Caramel colored middles are okay too. Let cool for about 2 minutes on cookie sheet and then transfer to a rack of some sort to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Note: Update on 7/29 — These cookies are really good on Day 1, but they don’t keep as well as I’d hoped. By day 3, they were kind of gnarly tasting. Maybe they do need the egg.

Comments

Here in Whitehall, Montana at the Fish Creek House Bed and Breakfast, there’s always a plate of cookies for our guests. I’ll have to add this recipe to the repertoire. Thanks

2. Anna says

Nice accent, tg. I hope you are using it on all your friends IRL today.

Cyd, your B&B looks nice. I’ve never been to Montana. Interestingly enough, Todd and I once stayed at a B&B in Stowe Vermont where the Innkeeper’s wife was known for her chocolate chip cookies. They were the thin and crispy kind — similar to these, but not quite as good IMNSHO. Since the cookes don’t have any eggs, they keep longer, which is a good thing for a B&B.

I may send a batch of these to Iraq.

3. mj says

Wow, I will try them out! I only like crisp cookies. I love this recipe for crisp cookies the best.

4. Anna says

Hi MJ,

Just took a look at those All Recipes cookies. I’ll have to try them. I’d be interested to know what an all white sugar (no brown) chocolate chip cookie tastes like.

5. Amy says

I have these in the oven right now. Too bad they don’t last long– guess we’ll just have to eat them right up!

Did you try freezing any?

6. Amy says

One more comment: it seems my butter was still pretty warm when the dry ingredients went in, so I have kind of a chocolate chocolate chip cookie. They’re also pretty dark because I used mostly dark brown sugar, as that’s what I had!

7. Anna says

Hi Amy! Boy, it sounds like you’ve almost invented some sort of dark chocolate cookie. How do they taste?

I’m sure they will freeze well. I just thought that maybe without the eggs, they’d keep well. They kept okay, but not as well as the Maple-Pecan chocolate chip cookies (the vegan ones).

8. Amy says

Here are what mine look like:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/pb3377a95ba6870200f38b0cda63a45d9/edb626ed.jpg[/img]

9. sophie says

this website is an absolute dream .i love it so much. chocolate is heaven. i hope i will be able to cook as well as i want sophie woodroofe 12 years old

10. Anna says

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your comment. Keep practicing your cooking! By the time you are 16, you’ll be an ace.