This is a recipe from Fran Berman. I’m not sure who she is, but a friend gave me the recipe and it said it was from Fran Berman.
Ginger and Lentil Soup
FRAN BERMAN'S GINGER AND LENTIL SOUP
Author: Cookie Madness
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 pound brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 3 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh, peeled ginger root, diced or grated
- 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 2/3 cups water
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (vegetable)
- Fine sea salt to taste (I didn’t need any)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dashes of balsamic vinegar to taste
- Put the lentils in a colander. Rinse thoroughly under cool running water.
- In a 6-to-8-quart or larger heavy pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute until transparent. Add 2/3 cup water and the diced carrots and simmer a
- minute. Stir in the lentils, then add the stock and remaining 3 cups of water.
- Partly cover. Simmer over a low flame, stirring often, 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and the soup has the consistency of porridge.
- Remove from heat and cool briefly. Stir in salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar to taste.