Chocolate Cheesecake Squares

by on March 4, 2008 · 11 comments

Today’s turning out okay. I love not being sick, and to celebrate, I went grocery shopping, cleaned the house, and washed the linens in the guest room. My mom’s coming for a visit tomorrow and Todd and I are going to a concert. We don’t get out a lot these days, so it’s a big deal when we do.

As for today’s treat, it’s going to have to chill for a bit longer, but I took a photo anyway. This recipe was sent to me by Kelly who found it on Every Day Food. I followed the recipe pretty much to the letter, but used Oreos instead of chocolate wafers and added a dash of vanilla.

I cut this piece before chilling, so you can get an idea of how it looks. And I have to admit, I took a tiny taste and it’s delicious! Can’t wait to have a full piece.

chocolate cheesecake square

Chocolate Cheesecake Squares

8 chocolate wafer cookies or 8 Oreos
8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/3 cup cocoa powder (natural, unsweetened)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the inside of an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil. Process cookies into crumbs and press into bottom of pan.

Wipe processor bowl clean and add cream cheese and sour cream. Process until smooth, scraping down side of bowl as needed, then add cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, egg, egg white and vanilla; process until smooth. Pour over cookie crust and sprinkle top with chocolate chips.

Bake on center rack for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan then refrigerate for at least one hour. Invert onto a tray; peel off paper and reinvert crust side down. Cut into 9 squares.

Makes 9

Published on March 4, 2008

Debbi March 4, 2008 at 1:47 pm

How would you change the temp and/time with an 8 in. GLASS pan? It looks delicious!

Anna March 4, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Well, the rule of thumb for glass pans is to knock of 25 degrees, so I guess I’d bake it at 325 for 35 minutes. It should appear set all around the sides and only slightly wiggly (not very) in the center.

Aria March 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Glad to see you back in the kitchen, Anna. This looks delicious!

TG March 4, 2008 at 3:02 pm

welcome back, you rule, etc. this thing looks so great. i just finally got around to making your choco-cheesecake streusel squares, so easy, brought them into work, BIG hit. weird: as you may recall, they use sweetened condensed milk which, when i opened the can, was tan-nish. on the label, it sez it’s still ok to use even if it’s started to turn tan. god forbid i waste anything so i used it. it ended up being more like chocolate-CARAMEL-cheesecake squares. it was interesting. (i confess that i had two cans and did throw one away because the milk had turned into a solid firm dark-tan caramel block.)

while i have you here, haha, have you had the girl scout lemon sandwich cookies? i know you posted an item that Fuzz was selling cookies; i hadn’t had the lemon ones before this year. i do love a lemon cookie.

Marie March 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I was trying to get this recipe off the Everyday website yesterday and for some reason it was saying it was temporarily unavailable. I’m so psyched to see it today. Weird that we both went for the same recipe at the same time.

Glad you’re feeling better.

Anna March 4, 2008 at 8:02 pm

TG,I thought that cocoa streusel recipe was from Penzey’s spices, but I found it in another earlier (can’t remember) cookbook as well. It’s definitely a good one — easy and delicious. Glad you didn’t get terribly ill from the old condensed milk ;).

About the lemon cookies, the ones we had this year turned out to be ice shortbread and NOT sandwiches. I think this year’s lemon cookies were new.

Marie, I guess it’s just a chocolate cheesecake kind of day.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Noble Pig March 5, 2008 at 9:51 am

Chocolate cheesecake anything is by far one of my greatest weaknesses. I wish I lived next door to you and I could sample each and every creation.

Jackie March 5, 2008 at 10:45 am

Can’t find your e-mail address so I’m sending this to you in the comments. I love this guy’s blog and he is teaching a course in Austin I thought you might be interested in. I know you are already a great baker but it might be fun for you to meet like-minded people. I wish he was coming to NC.

Debbi March 6, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Yum. I made these this morning to have for dessert tonight but I just had to sample. It’s delicious! We’re just getting over being sick here too so I thought I’d celebrate with cheesecake.

Katrina March 25, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Made these for Easter and they are yummy! My husband loves them. I used mini chocolate chips on top, just to cover more surface area. (1/4 cup) These turned out great! Thanks, Anna.

NancyB February 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Anna,

I made these for Valentine’s Day and they were a big hit! Thanks so much.

Nancy