Whopper Brownies & Milk Chocolate Malt Brownies

I felt like baking this morning, but wasted too much time on the computer and had to go to the gym instead of making the usual morning cookie. I did have time to put together one thing, though; and that worked out well because going to the gym makes me hungry and I had something good to come home to. This is a Whopper Brownie.

whopper brownie

The recipe is as follows: Make a batch of brownie mix as directed on package, but sprinkle chopped malt balls (Whoppers) and bittersweet chocolate chips all over the top before baking.

Exhibit A

brownie batter with malt balls

Exhibit B

cooked brownies

Exhibit C

springform pan

Definitely not gourmet, but they’ll fix a chocolate malt craving.

Next time, I’m going to try this scratch version from Betty Crocker.

By the way, if you like my rectangular springform pan, you can order one here. It’s actually called a cheesecake pan.

Comments

I made some symphony brownies using a boxed mix that I blogged about. I’m having a malt craving too so I’m going to bake some malt raisin cookies( donna Hay). I love malt, but dont like whoppers because of the fake choc.

I’m usually not a brownie fan (well…I am, but I’m a chewy/crispy corner piece fan), but these look really interesting. I tried making Whopper/malt cookies before, but the candies didn’t hold up very well. They kind of just melted and turned into wicked sweet goo. But it doesn’t look like that happened with your brownies.

There’s whoppers everywhere I look today! The Tuesday with Dorie’s people just made chocolate cookies with whoppers, and now these! Don’t you people know that we don’t have whoppers in Portugal and that’s just mean?!

Anna, That’s exactly what I was going to ask before you mentioned it was where you got that pan. Thanks for the link. Um, stinkin’ yum on the brownies! I bought some Whoppers recently because I was tired of seeing them in so many things–like your malt cake, etc. and I wanted to know I had some on hand when I got the urge to go Whoppers!

Hi Randi,

Thanks for reminding me about Donna Hay. I should look at some of her recipes for inspiration.

OCG, I was worried about the Whoppers melting into goo, but instead they melted into crunchy little masses. Not bad. I think I might like them better chopped up and sprinkled on top right after baking, but I’m not sure.

Lori, I just saw that you made Dorie G’s. malted chocolate cookies. I made those a while back. Mine came out a bit thin. I need to try the recipe again.

Rita, can you get Malteasers?

Katrina, I think the sharp edges give the pan a little more surface area because the boxed brownies came out a bit thinner. But the pan is great for cheesecake.

Wow, those look great! I love malt, and I still haven’t even gotten around to making Dorie Greenspan’s malted whopper cookies.

Anna! Thanks for the link for the pan! Like Katrina, I was just about to ask you where you got that pan, and there was your note! Oh, and the brownies look great too. :)

8. Jackie says

Maltesers are so much better than Whoppers. Once you’ve tried a Malteser you’ll never be able to eat a Whopper again. I always make sure my parents bring me Maltesers when they visit from England.