Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies

by on October 21, 2008 · 12 comments

I didn’t have the energy to go to the grocery store today, so luckily I had just enough ingredients to make a small batch of Chocolate Espresso Cookies from the current issue of Every Day Food. What I liked about this recipe, aside from the fact it was the only one for which I had the ingredients to make, was it had a full tablespoon of espresso powder. And boy, you can really taste it. These are excellent! I personally would not leave out the espresso even though the intro to the recipe tells you it’s okay. No, I recommend using the full amount of espresso and hiding these from the kids.

By the way, I mentioned earlier that I thought I was the only person who liked cookies set and cooled better than hot out of the oven. Well, it was nice to read a few comments from people who agreed. And this, like so many others, is a cookie that tastes even better after it’s completely set.

For the chocolate, I used Ghirardelli 58%. RECIPE HERE

espresso cookies

Published on October 21, 2008

Katrina October 21, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Well, I don’t do coffee so I can’t say about this cookie, but it does look good. I’m glad it made you feel better. Who needs Airborne, when you can have a cookie!?
But I do want to say that though I thoroughly enjoy a fresh baked warm cookie, I like em cooled, too. I’m not picky! ;)

Cindy in Tempe October 21, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Any thoughts on where I might find espresso powder locally? I don’t want to pay shipping for mail order.

Estee October 21, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Oh, yum!! I made the peanut butter cookies from your site this past weekend when I went on a picnic with my family. They were gone by the end of the picnic! I am a huge big fan of anything espresso, so I am so excited to try these cookies. Thanks so much!!!

Joanna October 21, 2008 at 3:11 pm

yummy. i could use one of those about now. i know what you mean about cookies being set. i like them both ways i think. the levain clones, for example, were really good set, but also really good warm, too. i think they were just the best cookies i’ve ever had. i need to get my hands on the real thing!

Rina October 21, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I love the plate that these cookies are resting on, is it a special edition Fuzz creation?

Anna October 21, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Cindy, most grocery stores in my area sell it, but if you can’t find in in the regular store then try Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. You’ll use it over and over.

bakingblonde October 21, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Oh my those look sooooooooooo rich!!

KAnn October 22, 2008 at 12:36 am

I was hoping you would take a look at the dark chocolate recipes in the latest EF, Anna…I thought of you when I read my issue. Hope you feel better soon!

Therese B. October 22, 2008 at 5:49 am

Anna:

I think you should start a NYC tour group with YOU as our guide!! After reading all of the great travel tips (thanks Andy)…well, now I really want to go!!!

Okay..I am making these cookies! I finally ordered my expresso powder from King Arthur and have been waiting for THE recipe to use it!

Thank you!!

Great Chocolate Gifts October 22, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Oh wow!! this cookies sounds so so delicious. Just love the combination of dark chocolate and espresso.. mm… it really makes a difference to use high quality chocolate when we make cookies is my experience.

Lisa magicsprinkles October 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Love espresso, love cookies, love dark chocolate. I think I’m in love with these.

Emily Rose October 23, 2008 at 9:48 am

I should make these for my younger sister- she’s still in high school and has a Biology test and an English test tomorrow- she could use a study snack with the added bonus of caffeine!